Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA CARS WANTED

GTA CARS WANTED Looking to buy a pristine GTA for your own collection.... or maybe you're looking for a "fixer-upper" car? Whatever you're looking for.... post your listing HERE!

Old 04-26-2016   #1
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Looking for a decent project car (GTA) in CA

Looking for a decent project car that at least runs and can be driven on it's own power. I've been looking on ebay and most, if not all decent cars are out of state. Anyone on here have anything in CA for sale that I could check out and consider? I'm really not wanting to get involved with shipping and all that goes along with that. I do have a budget but for the right car I can pay more if need be. I'm looking to start a project and will also be looking at where to source parts. I'm not looking to build a mint condition car but wouldn't mind sourcing mint condition parts for my project. Before I start buying parts though I need to find the car. Let me know if anyone got anything for sale in CA. Looking primarily for a GTA but haven't decided yet which year.

Jon
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #2
92rszz4

Re: Looking for a decent project car (GTA) in CA

This one looks great for a project car, I know is not runnig but the car is all there

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5543316236.html
92rszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #3
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rszz4 View Post
This one looks great for a project car, I know is not runnig but the car is all there

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5543316236.html
Hey thanks for the reference. I read the ad and looks like this is for just the engine and tranny, with the rest of the car. But doesn't tell much about what's wrong with the car. I didn't see where it says the engine doesn't run. Chino is in Southern Cali and if it doesn't run, it would need to be transported. That's an extra expense. The seller is asking 3 grand. Do you think that's reasonable for a car not running and having to be hauled? I'd have to think about that one after considering what others on this site have to say (opinion) about the asking price. I've seen a few for sale states away but run and for about the same price. I'd go that route over having one that needs to be hauled. First there's the hauling cost and then once it's here, how much time and money for it to even get running?

Opinions with this one would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jon
Old 05-04-2016   #4
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Personally, If I was looking, I'd be considering that TTA clone. $5500 Canadian for a good running car isn't much. I paid $5000 for mine in '96. I've put quite a bit more in it. Lots of new parts, including a GM crate motor. His is a good starting point though.
Old 05-04-2016   #5
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
Personally, If I was looking, I'd be considering that TTA clone. $5500 Canadian for a good running car isn't much. I paid $5000 for mine in '96. I've put quite a bit more in it. Lots of new parts, including a GM crate motor. His is a good starting point though.
TTA Clone? I assume you're referencing the one on this forum. Yeah, that's doable if it was closer. What type of paperwork needs to be done for out of country vehicles to be imported? I'm sure there are fees and taxes when going through customs. I could always de-clone it. That shouldn't be too hard. Just remove the door stickers and the TTA emblems right? I've seen tons of GTA emblem sets on ebay for cheap. I could go that route but the deal maker breaker would be how much red tape to get that car across the boarder into the US. Plus transport cost. I could always fly over and drive back. That is an option. I'll still plug away and see if anything turns up locally or closer. If too much time goes by, I my reconsider though. No worries, this is just a part of the project right.

Actually the colors I've been considering are the green as seen on the 91's. I'm thinking this was the only year the green was available as I've not seen that color on any other years. And the other color I like is gun metal gray. Brown would be good too because I do like that metallic brown. So my color preference in order would be green, gun metal and brown. I also prefer the brown interior on all exterior colors. My least liked exterior colors in order is white and red. Black, metallic red, and yellow are just ok.

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-04-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2016   #6
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Well, I bought a gunmetal gray '88 with a 350 and solid top. Dark medium gray interior. I've lowered it put bigger sway bars on it, and all that. I put gray firehawk wheels on it. Replaced the rear view mirror with one that has map lights and put an '87 overhead console in it. You can actually see good at night with the doors open now. I also put a stereo in it with twin 10" subs in the back. I kept all the good parts to put it back to stock if I need to. I only paid $5,000 for it from the original owner who lived on the East side of Atlanta. She got it on Christmas Eve of '87 and had replaced it with a 5th gen. I always thought it was meant to be, since she got it on a day I remembered so well, in the other reply I told you about that guy trying to get me to rear end him on the way to the Commodore store. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 05-06-2016   #7
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
Well, I bought a gunmetal gray '88 with a 350 and solid top. Dark medium gray interior. I've lowered it put bigger sway bars on it, and all that. I put gray firehawk wheels on it. Replaced the rear view mirror with one that has map lights and put an '87 overhead console in it. You can actually see good at night with the doors open now. I also put a stereo in it with twin 10" subs in the back. I kept all the good parts to put it back to stock if I need to. I only paid $5,000 for it from the original owner who lived on the East side of Atlanta. She got it on Christmas Eve of '87 and had replaced it with a 5th gen. I always thought it was meant to be, since she got it on a day I remembered so well, in the other reply I told you about that guy trying to get me to rear end him on the way to the Commodore store. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Nice. I would have purchased that one for $5K too! That sounds like a car I could have flown out to take possession of and drive back. I like all the work you did to it. Only think I wouldn't have done is put in the speakers. I prefer to listen to the engine as that's the music to my ears that matters most
Old 05-09-2016   #8
92rszz4

Take a look, both of these are 89 GTA with a 5.7 t-tops
near your area

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5550272240.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5549063957.html
92rszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016   #9
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rszz4 View Post
Take a look, both of these are 89 GTA with a 5.7 t-tops
near your area

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5550272240.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5549063957.html
Hey thanks for the links. That one in Belmont is only about 15 miles from where I live. Pretty heavily modified though. Not sure what's all on it, but looks like it's got some serious modifications. $8,500 is a bit over my budget. I'll think about that one. The second one is closer in price to what I'm looking for. But I'm not digging those speakers in the door panels or the seats. Also not too keen about T-tops. But at this point who can be picky right?

Thanks for the finds. I've not looked on CL yet. I've been primarily looking on ebay and online forums so far.

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-09-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2016   #10
DynoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
But I'm not digging those speakers in the door panels...
I've been around the old car hobby since I was a small boy, and I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anyone punch 6x9 into the upper part of a door panel like that. Most unfortunate.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016   #11
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
I've been around the old car hobby since I was a small boy, and I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anyone punch 6x9 into the upper part of a door panel like that. Most unfortunate.
I know huh. One real hack job. But the pictures aren't so clear, not sure if they cut out the panel and door frame or if it's just attached to the outside of the door panel.

Either way, pretty tacky if you ask me.

Jon
Old 05-10-2016   #12
DynoDave

Looking at the the next to last photo, it appears to be surface mounted. So hopefully no damage to the steel inner door, except maybe a couple of mounting/screw holes.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016   #13
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Looking at the the next to last photo, it appears to be surface mounted. So hopefully no damage to the steel inner door, except maybe a couple of mounting/screw holes.
I can see what you're talking about there. Guess he didn't have any use for the armrest so he just stabbed the speakers on. In that case little to no metal frame damage. But hate to see holes drilled in the panels, a few for the securing screws and one for the wire harness.

Jon