Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-09-2016   #1
Feffman

EPA Is After Our Race Cars

EPA SEEKS TO PROHIBIT CONVERSION OF VEHICLES INTO RACECARS

-- SEMA to Oppose Action as Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers --

Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.

“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”

SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.

The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016.

About SEMA
SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association founded in 1963, represents the $36 billion specialty automotive industry of 6,633 member-companies. It is the authoritative source for research, data, trends and market growth information for the specialty auto parts industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger and recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765, tel: 909-610-2030, or visit www.sema.org.

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars
Old 02-09-2016   #2
DynoDave

Re: EPA Is After Our Race Cars

An agency so out of control, I'm not sure it can or should be saved.

Thanks for the heads-up.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #3
DynoDave

SEMA now has a link up to the petition asking the EPA to withdraw this provision.

This is it boys and girls...the EPAs first BIG attack on our hobby. Even if you don't race, the limitation of parts used to convert a street car to a race car...cams, headers, intakes, nitrous, catbacks????...will be restricted or eliminated. With a crash in sales of these parts, retailers like Jegs, Speedway and Summit will be impacted, and perhaps there will be industry consolidation (speed shops closing). And they are big sponsors of some of the best events, races, and TV shows.

The impacts of this could be HUGE, and much more far reaching than they would like for you to realize. This is a knife at the throat of our whole hobby. And if they get away with it, it will be just the first step...more regulations will follow. It's simply what they do.

I know I've posted about regional issues before, needing a front plate, what constitutes an antique, etc. But this issue is orders of magnitude greater than anything that's come along before. This is the EPAs first BIG attack on our hobby, and must be challenged.

PLEASE follow the link below to the SEMA site. There you will find a link to a petition asking the EPA to withdraw this provision. I ask that you take just a few moments of your time to make your voice heard!

I won't even get into the smarmy tactic of hiding this in a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=...paign=LegAlert
POCI #72200
Old 02-10-2016   #4
90 L98 TransAm

Done - but they need another 5,000 to sign so do it now.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #5
DynoDave

I've posted this on 4 different forums, and emailed everyone I know in the hobby. 5k to go is AWESOME progress, because when I signed, they needed about 70k more. It's good to see people care, and will take a few moments to speak up on issues that matter to them.
POCI #72200
Old 02-11-2016   #6
DynoDave

The latest news I've seen:

EPA: Race cars have always required factory emissions equipment; SEMA: shenanigans

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ns/?refer=news
POCI #72200
Old 02-14-2016   #7
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Thanks for posting the link. I signed the petition.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #8
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

even though I dont race I am against legislation that pushes the liberal agenda. I signed as well