Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL TECH (NON-GTA)

GENERAL TECH (NON-GTA) Got a technical question or problem with your non-GTA vehicle but want the expertise of the GTA community? Post your non-GTA technical questions here!

Old 06-30-2014   #1
89JerseyGTA

MAF Hell

whats up guys ? Been busy but still here.

Burned out MAF # 2 in two years - crappy remaned NAPA aren't lasting and they are like $200.

Are the Cardone brands any better or what would you rec ?

I have a KN Filter, but haven't oiled it since first clean a while back ... also replace the relays with Delco relays.

??
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #2
GTABill

Re: MAF Hell

I've used a few of their replacement parts and haven't had issues, but I've heard nightmares from others so as with any replacement part, its a roll of the dice lol.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #3
89JerseyGTA

Just pulled the receipt was Oct of 13, so I may have a shot at warranty - think its 12 months. But if anyone else has had MAF burnout problems - let me know and if you tried alternative kinds.

Thanks
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
Old 07-02-2014   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Had to buy one from O'Reilly's for Hector last fall while I was at the PSN show in TX after flunking the old screwdriver test. First one I've put on that car in the 15 yrs. since I've had it. No issues since then, but the car still doesn't idle right about 1/2 the time...

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #5
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Did they stop selling them at GM? I hope they did not.

Yumiko
Old 07-05-2014   #6
SeanO23

I've gone through 3 in 5 years...still don't know why, I am very curious to see what people say.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seans-...14128911992060
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014   #7
86TA355SR

Hey guys,

I can shed a little light here...

I highly recommend buying a new GM MAF (not sure they make them anymore?). I know they're expensive, believe me. However, I never had any problems with those vs the auto part's store brands. Not saying others haven't had good luck with the part's store version, I just didn't.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #8
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

I ran a re-manufactured MAF from advance auto for 3 years with no trouble. The only reason I quit using it was because I switched to SD. I still have the maf sensor sitting in my garage.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #9
YumikoGTA

My friends at GM Dealership said to me many years ago that the reason the parts from them last the longest is because the two most important reasons, which is tolerances and materials of the parts. When a car is brought to GM to be repaired or maintained the parts that they put on are covered under their repairs warranty. This warranty is longer than the warranty of parts that are purchased from aftermarket manufacturers. If you have a GM car that has been repaired or worked on at GM, they want to make sure that the parts will last throughout the warranty. If they put on faulty parts, then you would have to come back if it fails before the warranty is finished and they would have to do the work again with replacement parts without charging you again. They would lose money this way.

The parts at the GM Dealership are more expensive, one reason is because the materials are of a higher quality than the aftermarket parts and because they spent more time and money in the research and developement of their parts.

The last part that I had purchased from the auto parts chain stores was alternator. It has life time warranty and that sounded very good. However, I got so frustrated that my alternator would only last one year at the most. It was always turning bad and I could not understand why this was happening. I realized that the bearings in the back of the alternator, the casing was made from some type of hard plastic materials. And if you have a 1987 GTA with 350 engine, you will know that the back of the alternator is only about an inch from the passengers side head. So what was happening is the heat from the head was damaging the rear bearing casing on the alternator, to the point that the bearings would fall out and then the alternator stop working. I finally bought a new alternator at the GM Dealership and look at the casing on the back and it was made out of metal material.

So the alternator at the auto parts chain stores was cheaper to buy and life time warranty, but.....I would have to spend my time constantly replacing it every year about. Also sometimes I would not know that the alternator was having problem until too late and the battery was weak or dead and I was on the street some place.

It is like this with all the parts from the auto parts chain stores. The only thing that they are good for is stuff like oil, cleaners and wax. But if my GTA needs something mechanical or electrical, I get it at the dealership. And I had drove my GTA for 246,000 miles during the first ten years since I purchased it brand new from GM. So I had a lot of experience with the parts that I bought from the auto parts chain stores wearing out on my GTA.

The same thing with the starter motor and fuel pump. When my GTA was completely restored, I got everything from GM Dealership. The alternator, fuel pump and starter is the things that would wear out the fastest from the auto parts chain stores. However, now that all these parts on my GTA are GM, the last time I had to purchase these parts was in 2001.

It must depend on the individual GTA owner maybe. The decision to save money but constantly have to repair it, or spend more money and not have to constantly repair it. I tried both ways and I like the second choice much more.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-06-2014 at 05:41 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #10
87350gtanj

I bought one about two years ago from AutoZone I think it was cardone but it hasn't giving me any problems yet I did also replace maf burn-off relay and pigtail too while I was at it.
87350gtanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #11
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Checked with my dealer this past week, and the original number for the MAF sensor has changed several times over the years.... but the part is discontinued.

On the good side, there are 6 dealers across the USA who, at this very moment, have one of these little jewels sitting on a shelf in their parts department just waiting for YOUR call. Apparently once a part is N/A from GM SPO anymore, dealers will no longer swap parts since replacements can't be ordered. So it's up to you to get the contact info for each dealer and keep those phone lines/airwaves hot! Also, if you're lucky enough that your local GM parts department sells you parts at wholesale cost.... you're most likely SOL there too. According to my local guy, discontinued parts are retail price only. No discounts.

But the best news of all: that little sensor's last retail listing price was $814.20... Wholesale price would be about half that figure ( $404.xx IIRC), if any of the 6 dealers would do that.

So with that sobering news, the new Duralast MAF sensor from Auto Zone (#DL-B157) for $175 with a limited lifetime warranty looks a lot more attractive. I've been looking, and AZ is the only company I've found that offers a new part. Everyone else I've checked with (NAPA, Bumper to Bumper, Advance Auto, etc.) only sell reman MAFs, and AZ has remans with a one-year warranty too if that's your thing. I've not found anyone who's had a reman part that lasted more than about a year, including me. Hector's O'Reillys reman MAF lasted a year and 3 weeks. Hell, I'm probably lucky I made it home from TX last fall with it.

Anyway, just passing along some info. Hopefully it will help someone.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #12
YumikoGTA

My GTA has only needed two of them since it was brand new. Of course I replaced the original one with one from the GM Dealership in 2001 and it has worked well.

From my experiences and discussions with people who I have known that work on these cars, chemicals will ruin the MAF sensor. Chemicals such as spray starter fluid, engine degreaser spray, even of you put on that aftermarket air filter and you use the spray cleaner on it, you mush make sure that it is completely dried out before you use it on the engine or those chemicals will even ruin the MAF sensor. It is the small wire inside that gets ruined, because the wire has a very special coating on it for it to work properly (like other sensors in the engine too). When the special coatings are damaged, the sensor will no longer work properly.

Now the aftermarket MAF sensors are probably not very good even from the beginning. Most of the owners I have read their postings on this forum since 2001, most of them do not have good luck with the aftermarket MAF sensor assemblies that they have used. But good Luck.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 10-13-2014 at 10:53 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014   #13
merc3065

That little wire is made of platinum, no coating on it. This is why the MAF costs so much. Platinum reacts to ethanol and other alcohols. If an oil gets on it, the MAF burn off is supposed to flash fry any particulates off the wire after operation.

After the wire has had enough jolting by the burn off relay, it will burn up or snap like the filament in a light bulb.

The readings can also be affected by the oils on a K&N air filter and the burn off may not be able to flash fry the dirt off the wire which can affect the resistance of the wire causing false readings and general poor performance.

I will be upgrading mine to a digital LS1 MAF when I go with the 24x EFI setup next summer.
Old 10-14-2014   #14
TTOP350

These GM BOSCH meters are hit or miss, some seem to last 4ever and some didn't make it off the transport truck b4 they needed a new one. Big warranty item back in the day.
My 89 made it over 200k miles b4 it needed a new one!
Through some searching just a couple yrs ago, I found a guy that remans and tests these BOSCH meters for Porsche guys. (He can do ours also) I have his Email someplace but google could bring him up.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #15
89JerseyGTA

Thanks all, great info.

Turns out that the MAF still maybe good, trouble is the EGR valve again, getting ready to pull the plenum off again.

I will report back.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)