Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 06-28-2014   #1
shedbass

custom vs. original

I just got my first GTA recently, wanted one since I they came out. Other than the stereo the car seems to be basically all original. to include having the cassette tape holder in the console, cigarette lighter never used and t-top bag in the back. missing 1 center wheel cover. Car is over all very clean and most everything works. it does need paint. its an 88, bright red, 5.0 TPI, t-tops, 113xxx miles. Am I better to try to keep the car as original as possible for the sake of its value as I get her back to being cherry, or is custom an acceptable route. looking for some opinions
shedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #2
shedbass

Re: custom vs. original

wow, 12 hrs, 10 people read this. no one responeded. did I join the right site?
Old 06-29-2014   #3
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

you asking if you should keep it stock for future collectibility and value?

I dont believe a 5.0 is the right vehicle for that purpose, if thats what you're thinking.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seans-...14128911992060
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #4
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989

What are some of your possible custom plans? It depends how radical you go and whether you'd get any return on your investment. 99 times out of 100, you will be underwater. Personal satisfaction and enjoyment is one thing. But, when you decide to sell it, highly modified, you are gonna lose $$.

Hemmings Muscle Machine mags just did a feature on an '87 Trans Am. And in a previous issue they highlighted a '89 Turbo model GTA that went to auction. The author speculated that collector interest in these cars (including non-turbo) MAY be starting to awaken. Or, maybe not. But if so, an original car would be worth more. Probably. We might have to wait a long time for this to happen. People who grew up in the '80's look to these cars as the muscle cars of THEIR youth, the cars they could not afford when they first got interested in cars. When they start buying them up, prices may climb. If that happens; I am no expert. The point of these opinion articles is that you can get into them cheap right now.

On another note, this forum gets quiet in the summer. There are only a small percentage of members who are active. I have found much great advice here that helped me out when I had to replace a fuel pump and when I installed a fiberglass wing. Be patient with the forum and good luck with your GTA. Auto or manual?

Last edited by 89-5.7GTA; 06-29-2014 at 11:31 AM.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #5
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

I would recommend going custom. There really is no collector value to the car you have.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #6
shedbass

i apreciate the comments guys. much like others i was growing up when these came out and couldnt afford one then. with the exception of just seeing one on the road here and there you dont see them much anymore, and most you do see are highly ragged out. I had no clue there was even a possibility of a collectors market on these cars till i started reseaching a little and seems like they are becoming a hot item. I collect some other things in which originality means every thing. my car is very much stock, original and clean, just didnt want to do any damage if i decide to customize. Im still thinkin about what i may do. this car has been sitiing in a garage for 7 yrs because the previous owner couldnt figure out how to change a fuel pump. so im going through bushings, suspension ect to make sure its good and ready to run before going farther. thanx again
Old 06-29-2014   #7
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsonGTA View Post
I would recommend going custom. There really is no collector value to the car you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-5.7GTA View Post
What are some of your possible custom plans? It depends how radical you go and whether you'd get any return on your investment. 99 times out of 100, you will be underwater. Personal satisfaction and enjoyment is one thing. But, when you decide to sell it, highly modified, you are gonna lose $$.

Hemmings Muscle Machine mags just did a feature on an '87 Trans Am. And in a previous issue they highlighted a '89 Turbo model GTA that went to auction. The author speculated that collector interest in these cars (including non-turbo) MAY be starting to awaken. Or, maybe not. But if so, an original car would be worth more. Probably. We might have to wait a long time for this to happen. People who grew up in the '80's look to these cars as the muscle cars of THEIR youth, the cars they could not afford when they first got interested in cars. When they start buying them up, prices may climb. If that happens; I am no expert. The point of these opinion articles is that you can get into them cheap right now.

On another note, this forum gets quiet in the summer. There are only a small percentage of members who are active. I have found much great advice here that helped me out when I had to replace a fuel pump and when I installed a fiberglass wing. Be patient with the forum and good luck with your GTA. Auto or manual?
I agree with Munson. Do whatever you want and enjoy the car.

Like said above, there isn't a lot of activity on this site. Several of us hang around but in the summer, I'm out enjoying the weather and the GTAs!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #8
GTABill

Here's my thoughts. Get it cleaned up and I mean REALLY cleaned up. Once that's done step back and take some pics and just look at it in the state that it's in for a few days. Each time you come out to look at it do you smile and can't wait to get in and go, or do you think to yourself, "This or that would be cool to do". If its the first response, then leave it alone and just enjoy it. If its the second, then its time to start making your list.

As far as collectability and value, the miles, although low for being an 88 are still high when it comes to the collectability part. If it were half the miles, it would be a different story and post lol. Bottom line, just enjoy it

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #9
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

if it was a 5.0 manual then that would be a different story. but if auto then do what you want
Old 07-01-2014   #10
87350gtanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsonGTA View Post
I agree with munsongta on this topic go custom the high dollar gta's that are original have super low miles on them like 50k and under.So your car with 100k is not really that collectable to a "collector".
87350gtanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #11
89JerseyGTA

I like all original, no matter how many miles, just my preference.

When I see a custom 3rd gen all I can think of is a kid molested this thing, god only knows how screwed up it is, and there aint no books to fix custom- so if that's the road you choose ... what ever makes you happy.

In the end we all put "stupid money" in these things not for an investment, just pleasure, kinda like a boat. There is no equity in it.
As mentioned, if it had low miles, clean and rare .... different story.

have fun.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #12
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Excellent coverage here on this topic....each idea has its own pros and cons. I'm a non-custom guy, but that's just me. If I were more mechanically inclined, I might be more of a "modifier". LOL

But for value, the 350 cars will be the ones that hit first because those who loved these cars back in the day and want them "now" always remember that "the GTA had the 350 in it from the factory..." I think the desirability will be a) 5.7L GTA, b) 5.0L/M5 GTA, and then 5.0L/A4 GTA.

All are good in my book...

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #13
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2 View Post
Excellent coverage here on this topic....each idea has its own pros and cons. I'm a non-custom guy, but that's just me. If I were more mechanically inclined, I might be more of a "modifier". LOL

But for value, the 350 cars will be the ones that hit first because those who loved these cars back in the day and want them "now" always remember that "the GTA had the 350 in it from the factory..." I think the desirability will be a) 5.7L GTA, b) 5.0L/M5 GTA, and then 5.0L/A4 GTA.

I would put a few on top of that...
firehawk would be #1 and a 88 notch then the 1989 GTA with 5.7 and T-tops will be above all 5.7. I think below that will be the 5.0/M5 then the 5.7 then 5.0 auto

The reason I think that is a combination of desirability and rarity. I originally was looking for an 89 5.7 with t-tops and found a very nice one but the 88 with more rarity and similar numbers at the track and the fun factor made my decision complete The car drives so much differently with a stick. a different character of the shines and it is less polished in its power.. so its.. well... great! wish it was a firehawk!
Old 07-04-2014   #14
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I would suggest that if you take it out some of the original components to modify, you should keep the original ones so if you ever sell your car, you can include them with the car. Because it is very hard to find some of these parts now, and in the future it may even be more difficult.

In my situation, I keep my GTA completely original because that is the kind of person that I am. I prefer to keep it all original, the way that it came from the manufacturer, and same factory original performance too. I am very happy and satisfied if my GTA runs just the same as it did when it was brand new. That is my only goal with my GTA.

But it depends on you since it is your car. Do what makes you happiest. But like I suggest, if you do change some things, save the original components so you can include them with the car if you sell it some day.

Yumiko
Old 07-06-2014   #15
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:

Frankie, what you say reminds me of how the Kelley Blue Book of values said about it when the 1987 Pontiac cars were in that book. The last time I saw one of these books, the 1987 was no longer listed in that book. Maybe only twenty year old and newer are in there. But when I saw the 1987 in this book which was when it was not twenty years old yet but soon it would be, the book gave extra additional values to the car if it had automatic transmissions and the 5.7 350 engine compared to the manual transmissions and 5.0 305 engine.

Also when I see a similar Pontiac car like the GTA, Firebird, Formula, or Trans Am for sale, if it has the 5.7 350 engine, the seller always places greater emphysis on that engine size then if it has a smaller engine in it. So the cars that came from the factory new with the 5.7 350 engine with the automatic transmissions and the codes are on the sticker inside of the car and the VIN matches, these ones seem to have greater value placed on them, but by the people who want a factory numbers matching Pontiac. But for the buyes who just want a cheap car for a cheaper price that they plan to modify and race around, this information would not have much at all values to them.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-06-2014 at 05:20 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #16
shedbass

wow, this has turned into a great thread, ive been quiet cuz ive been out of town for work, this has actually got my brain working and thinking it self through, with no current conclusion but to enjoy it for the moment. I will say though, as much as i prefer a manual trans, im 6'5" tall, they give very little room for long legged tall people to actually get their foot on a clutch, let alone do it a thousand times over. lol
Old 07-17-2014   #17
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Shedbass, hey... we try.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #18
87350gtanj

Quote:

Definitely agree with Frankie on this
87350gtanj is offline   Reply With Quote