Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-26-2013   #1
87GTACKO
BAD BIRD

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom
Keep my GTA??

Hey guys im having trouble on keeping my GTA or not. Alot of sentialmental value to me. But ive been eyeing down a 04 goat since god knows how long and i found one in my price range. i have a buyer for my GTA but i have no idea. Help?
87GTACKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Keep my GTA??

Your going to get a ton more looks in your GTA than a 04 GTO. You see GTO's all the time, but never a GTA. Plus you'll probably miss it once its gone.

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #3
87GTACKO
BAD BIRD

GTA Engine: Custom

very true, i just want a LS car. but I'm in love with my GTA. if i could i would love to swap a 5.3 in my GTA but don't have the funds. only way to get one is to buy a LS car...
87GTACKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #4
Gottabekidding

I can only speak for myself.

I just traded a 93 T/A with just 84,000 miles for an 1988 GTA with 170,000 miles.
In a lot of aspects the '93 was and is a better performing car.
But, my passion is for 3rd gen firebirds.
I have a base model, a Formula and now I have 2 GTA's

If you want nothing but the power from a LS engine, your engine can be enhanced to achieve those performance levels.

Remember those LS engine cars are getting older as well and will require the maintenance of an older car too.
Most LS car owners expect to start and drive with little maintenance.
That is why several 4th gen owners are now 5th gen owners.

As far as your choice of the GTO is concerned, I would consider a few things very carefully.
It was a limited run vehicle model from a company that doesn't exist anymore.
Parts for repair are higher than normal and maybe a bit harder to find.
As that car ages things like hoses, belts and accesories (ie: alt, water pump, radiator, etc) may need to be changed.
I had found that 4th gen parts were much more expensive than 3rd gen parts as a whole.

Getting a 4th gen LS powered car compared to a GTO would be a much better decision,
but in my case - even a 4th gen wasn't right for me.

Good luck with your decision !!
Gottabekidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #5
Banshee

I'll give you something else to think about. You mentioned the GTA having sentimental value. Your words almost tell me you have talked yourself out of getting the GTO, so try this on for size. You are never going to here me say a negative thing about a GTA. I have owned 3 of them. The one I currently have is the 89 TTA and although that is the benchmark of the GTA, I must say that having one is like no other vehicle and you will regret getting rid of it

I also have an 05 GTO with the LS2. IT's bad ass to say the least. It's comfortable for long trips, gets great fuel milage for 400hp, carves the curves like nothing else in it's 4 passenger group but at the end of the day,,I love my 3rd gen. IS that to say I don't like the GTO???? NO, but the GTA has class and curb appeal that the GTO does not.

Stay with the GTA. IT's a classic in it's own right and you will always have somebody loving the car and believe me, out of the 16 or so 3rd gens owned over the years, I wish I could have kept all of them, but I still have one and that's what matters to me.

Last edited by Banshee; 10-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #6
92GTA

I've had my 92 for almost 14yrs now (damn where does the time go?!) and I've come close to selling it a few times. Sometimes because of hard times and personal issues, others to get another car like you want. I actually had a buyer twice, and backed out like an a**hole when it came time to receive the money. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I regret selling most of the other cars I have had, I couldn't imagine the guilt and loss I would feel without my 92 GTA. It's literally an extension of who I am, it would be like selling a leg.

Wait until you can get the car you want and keep the GTA.
Old 10-06-2013   #7
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989

I briefly toyed with the idea of selling my '89 GTA. This year I got a 2007 Corvette convertible and hardly drove the GTA at all. And, it does not help that I have to store the GTA in a buddies garage 20 miles from my house, while the Vette is at home. But, my adult daughter likes the GTA and because it is an automatic she can drive it. The Vette is manual. I am going to try to hang onto the GTA. To my kids, it is a fun "old" car (made before they were born!).

It takes a little while to get used to the way the GTA drives and handles after driving the Vette. I do love the torque and the way it easily leaves other traffic in the dust from a traffic light with only using maybe 1/2 throttle.

Right now I am just storage-challanged. If I can remedy the storage problem, the GTA is a keeper and maybe I will even have room for some other old iron.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #8
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

gotta chime in here too. I love my GTA but life is busier now. just bought a new DD and put my GTA into long term storage. maybe a few years before I touch it again but that's ok. it's safe in a friends warehouse. it's 45 min away but safe and on jack stands.
I plan on waiting 5 years before getting it back out. she is a beast but take up garage space. I will miss her. not going to sell her. even my wife who is not a fan asked me not to cause she know I will miss it a lot and has heard from friends who have seen and ridden in it that it's a special car
Old 10-06-2013   #9
Banshee

Dats what I'm talkin bout,,,,,,,,these cars have a more special bond with owners unlike any other and I'm including vette owners. I get in mine and it throws me back 25 years. The memories are unforgettable and the car,,,well it's just an extension of who I am. All the trips, people and friends some who are no longer with us today, places and parties, concerts, man it just goes on and on and all I have to do is jump in and drive around the block and it puts me back there again.

Anybody out there thinking of getting rid of their GTA,,,take it from me,,,,,DON'T. Not if you really don't have to. Just put it on the side and ler her rest.

I've had a 3rd gen in my life since I was 18yrs old and in 2001 I lost two of them due to a divorce. I finally was able to replace my pride and joy and I'll tell anybody now, glad to have her back.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #10
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

I would always cast my lot with keeping a GTA, but that's just me. I'm a sentimental old fool...

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #11
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988

I doubt your as old or as sentimental as me Frankie. Probably not as much of a fool either. I still have every car I ever owned, except the first which came from Michigan and rusted away.