Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 06-06-2013   #61
86TA355SR

Re: What to pay for 88 GTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
Just remember to not rush the process if you decide to tackle the wetsanding on your own and that the Porter Cable's limit to wetsand marks is 2000 grit with the proper pad and compound selection (from my personal experience). Oh and patience, patience, patience if I haven't mentioned that before lol. Again, it looks really good!
Have you wetsanded factory clear before? I am a little nervous, not sure how thick it is....Even if I don't get all the orange peel, it would be better than it is now.

I have done other wetsanding, but it has been on repaints with 3 or 4 coats of clear.

Thoughts?
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #62
86TA355SR

A few from last night.

I spent a lot of time cleaning under the hood. Nothing special here, stock motor. Car runs great.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #63
GTABill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TA355SR View Post
Have you wetsanded factory clear before? I am a little nervous, not sure how thick it is....Even if I don't get all the orange peel, it would be better than it is now.

I have done other wetsanding, but it has been on repaints with 3 or 4 coats of clear.

Thoughts?
Well, you've seen my car at the Nationals and I have wetsanded (by hand) the nose to take out some imperfections. I use 2000 grit and really it will just scuff it up pretty good while taking out minor imperfections and make the finish feel smooth after you do the other steps. You will probably not get out the orange peel completely, but honestly, my goal when I was wetsanding was to blend in some normal pitting you get when driving them, so I haven't necessarily gone after the orange peel.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #64
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

congrats on the car. very nice!
Old 06-08-2013   #65
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Be careful that you do not accidentally sand through the clear coat on your GTA. I would imagine that you would have to repaint it if you do that. Because when the clear coat is no longer on there, the paint under it is very dull and can not be changed, because it is not designed to be on the outter surface, only under a clear coat.

Yumiko