Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 06-08-2013   #1
Oh5V

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
Bought a decent GTA...

Last week I brought home a 1988 GTA...
It isn't my first GTA Ive ever owned, more like my 5th. But the others were either sold whole or only good for parts.

I found this one on eBay and gave it a shot. I bid more than I really felt comfortable with, being that I was bidding based on only a few pictures for reference.

Really only needs paint along with some other minor things.

Its a white 1988 GTA with grey cloth interior, 305tpi, auto, digital dash.

When I picked it up, seller tells me it only has 62k original miles, and hands me the original window sticker along with the complete purchase contract and service contract paperwork, along with all the other new-car paperwork and receipts. I even have the carbon copy of the bank withdrawal request for all the cash for the car. The car also has the t-top shades, and even the instruction paperwork on how to install them. Car was undercoated brand new and even had the fabric protection package done.

On top of all that, the seller gave me spare front and rear bumpers, side and 1/4 gfx, hood, and 2 more sets of headlights, door panels, side mirror, bumper support plate. All these parts are extras since the car doesn't need them.

I think I got a pretty good deal in the end. lol.

Oh5V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Bought a decent GTA...

Looks very good actually! A good wash, buff, and wax and it would make a big difference. Nice buy

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #3
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Nice....congradulations. I hope that you enjoy it for many years.

Yumiko
Old 06-08-2013   #4
Oh5V

oh yea, I paid around 1,300 for the car. lol. Once I sell the extra parts off, I'll have maybe 800 into it.
Old 06-09-2013   #5
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

You made off like a bandit, my friend. Congrats!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #6
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

I feel bad for the previous owner. he left a lot of money on the table. you got a great deal at his expense. he chose fleabay anyway
congrats on stealing it
Old 06-28-2013   #7
carlos66212

Wow... that was one helluva deal!!!
carlos66212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #8
CLASSYGTA

Honestly...That is a great deal! I would of jumped on that deal myself! Good luck!
1987 GTA - Sold
2009 G8 GT - Sold...
CLASSYGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #9
89JerseyGTA

You got a sleeper. Best to buy from a un-informed seller.

62K miles, digital dash ... you did very good. Clean it up and sell it for 7K ... LOL

Good luck w/ her.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #10
Oh5V

A little update... The GTA has been in my garage since I brought it home. I got it to run but its rough and oil was leaking from somewhere on the back of the block. It also needs the rear metal brake line. Nothing major though. I did buy a NOS radio bezel since the current one was marked up.

Right after I got the car, I did pick up an OEM notchback hatch that needed some repairs. I also magically found a pair of the upper back seats from a notchback as well. This past summer, I picked up a second notchback hatch in much better condition. I also decided to do an engine swap, but keep the original parts tucked away just in case. It's getting an ls-based motor. I'm either going with an aluminum 5.7 or iron 6.0, with fully worked ls6 heads, large cam, upgraded valve-train, arp fasteners, electric water pump, fast intake, etc... I'm also putting a t56 in it. I have a 98 z28 donor car for most of the simple stuff. I'm keeping the second notchback rear glass as a backup, just in case anything ever happens. Oh, and any GTA parts that need to be cut or modified for the swap, will be from my separate parts lot or bought and the original parts will be put aside (like shifter plate with the original owners name on a plaque, lol).

In 2010 I sold my '01 SS which had a cammed/bolt-on LS6 making 425rwhp. After missing that car, the goal for this car was to become a notchback clone ( I will never claim its a real one, I will always admit its a clone, lol) with a LS motor that will make 500+ rwhp. It's just a matter of finding the time to actually work on it. The car will also be getting a complete new paint job, still white though, but fully disassembled and done right. Once done, it will be garage kept and only taken out on nice days, kinda like how my '01 SS was.

I'm even considering cleaning, detailing, and redoing the original motor with all new bearings and gaskets once its out just for the hell of it and perhaps make it a showpiece in my garage.

Old 01-19-2015   #11
ukprochargedgta

looks good in white, going to be a cool machine dude
ukprochargedgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015   #12
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Great to see you have a good plan for what you'll be doing to the car. If we can help, let us know and keep us up-to-date!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #13
Oh5V

A few days after I posted that last update, I bought a 2002 Firebird Formula. (The 2002's are the most desirable of the LS1 f -body cars). That car will be getting cut up for parts to build my GTA as well.

I'm using the '02 LS1 shortblock(going to rebuild), LS6 manifold, '02 harness and pcm(repinned for the T56), and other assorted parts. The rest of the Formula will get parted out to pay for all the other parts I'll need. Between the formula and the 98 z28 I should easily be able to make enough money back to cover the entire build. It will just take time. I hope to have the motor built and ready to go in by the end of July.

and here are pics of my '98 z28(from last summer, but still the same)

and just for the hell of it... Here is my daily driver.... a 2014 Camaro

Last edited by Oh5V; 02-08-2015 at 03:00 PM.