Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-06-2012   #1
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Notchbacks

I wish I understood the appeal of the notchbacks. They are just not for me. I know they are rare (little bit rarer than mine in 88 alone) but I just am not into the look. They never grew on me. Am I alone or are they the greatest thing for a GTA? Just confused. I know Frankie has one too and was thrilled to get it. I would turn one down based on the attraction factor alone.
Old 12-06-2012   #2
CLASSYGTA

Re: Notchbacks

My opinion, I like the look of both.

Put it to you this way, if there was a nice low mileage, leather notch for sale I would probably not turn it down.
1987 GTA - Sold
2009 G8 GT - Sold...
CLASSYGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #3
BadAzzGta89
Project Bad Azz on the way!!!

It grew on me.

"Gran Turismo Americano"

BadAzzGta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #4
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

I know they are rare and similar to the Monty Aero coup and a 63 vette split window or a 57 nomad.. basically things that were not really wanted or even rejected by the public at the time then collected and desired....lol
Old 12-07-2012   #5
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

It's a "love it or hate" it deal absolutely for everyone. There is no middle ground with these cars at all. I had only seen a photo of one when we bought ours....and I thought the photo was ugly. The car looks better in person by far. I think it is stylish and makes the car trimmer in the rear....if the car is a dark color: black, maroon, gunmetal. The lighter colors Red and White make the car look fatter in the rear end. But again, that's a personal preference and opinion of mine.

As to future value.... that's up in the air. Will the Notchback become a specific niche among Firebirds? It's too early to tell about that; the markets are fickle. I think there will always be people who know these cars that look for them for whatever reason: the style, the exclusivity, personal preference, whatever...

But I believe that some amount of future value will be there if the market is.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #6
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

I agree. I just think the lines with the hatch class look aggressive and beautiful. I guess this is why I didnt like our cars as verts as they look more flat in the back. I may kick my self years later as they increase in value though but I also want to enjoy the look of my car and not struggle with it when I look at it.
Frankie I agree that the color does make a difference in the size perspective as you say. Nice black one you have.
Old 12-07-2012   #7
GTA50

You also have to put it into the perspective of the times. The styling cues out of Europe (i.e. Ferrari) suggested that type of style. When I saw my first notchback I thought it was a custom job and while interesting, not my thing. I think the lines of the GTA (and thirdgen firebirds) didn't quite work.

Now, I look at my wife's 4th gen Firebird and I can really see how the lines would work very nicely into a notchback. Maybe a new project for me.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #8
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Thanks for the kind words, 1bad. The Notchback isn't for you...and that's totally cool. The Hatchback version is cool too; hey, there wouldn't be a GTA Source Page at all if not for the red car...not the Notchback.

IIRC, when our cars were introduced that frameless rear window was the largest piece of production auto glass being made in the world. That's cool enough right there...

There is a Ferrari-esque look about the AA8 cars; I like the few export cars I've seen with the Notchback and the paddle mirrors combined. The options definitely mesh well. But in the end, go with what you like. In our case.... it's all good.

Old 12-08-2012   #9
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

by the way. thanks Frankie for creating this wonderful site. I Like it better than the thirdgen.org site. it's not as cluttered and we can discuss non tech stuff and you have been very fair to all of us and defended many and punished few who stepped out of line. very evenhanded. thanks for all you do. I am sure we all agree on that!
Old 12-08-2012   #10
prokilllsx

agreed
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #11
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

The notchback style is not any different than other options that people like. It just depends on personal preferences. I do not mind the nothchback style. The first time I ever saw one of these styles was in the early 1990s. I saw a bright red one at the gas station and I just thought that the owner did a customizing to their GTA. I had no idea that it was an option from the dealership that way, until I joined this site in 2001 and began to learn more about the GTAs, even though I had one, I did not know much about them besides driving it. After I learned that the notchback was an option from the dealership, I appreciated that style more, as I am only interested in maintaining the GTAs to be original.

Yumiko
Old 12-08-2012   #12
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
by the way. thanks Frankie for creating this wonderful site...
X3

My first impression (that still sticks with me) is that the notchback makes it look kind of like a Fiero.
(not really a hate thing though)
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012   #13
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

No thanks are necessary, you all. You thank and honor me by staying arouind here and posting and helping each other whenever you can. That's what it's all about right there.