Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-22-2012   #1
1991TransAmGTA

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
Help Me Please t tops

my gta had lexan t tops in it when i bought it but they were sunbaked so i needed to buy new ones. i can only find lexan ones saying they are for a 1991 but the rpo code in the glove box said it came with glass ones. i bought earlier 80s glass t tops for 20 bucks and theres only a few scratches but im not sure if they would be considered the correct ones for the car.
1991TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Re: t tops

Other than the glass, do they look significantly different from the ones that came with the car? Most importantly, do they fit? if they fit, then I would use them. Where you may run into a problem is if your car has the C&C T-Top option, which I've seen 3 GTAs have. They used bigger T-Tops I think.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #3
GTA50

The lexan T-tops were a later addition to reduce weight. I seem to recall that they were installed on all of the '89 Turbo Trans Ams. Problems were scratching and cracking, so they were factory replaced with the glass T-tops. I believe some adjustment is necessary to have a proper fit either way (there are numerous posts on Thirdgen.org).

The earlier T-tops ('82-85) have a plastic molding around the T-tops and a different locking pin design I believe.

Hope that helps.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #4
1991TransAmGTA

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

they do fit and thank you for the suggestion
1991TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #5
GO_G8RZ

I had Lexan tops on my 91 and they did indeed scratch and crack terribly. Eventually got to a point where they looked awful from inside and outside. Another guy in this area recently got a set of Lexan tops thinking of the weight savings and he was equally disappointed in the cosmetic sensitivities of those tops.

I swapped my Lexan tops for a pair from Galaxy Glass and now they look amazing. Unless you are planning to keep the car perfectly original, I recommend you go with glass.
GO_G8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #6
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I just got these glass replacement t-tops off Ebay. I have been shopping for glass tops since my Lexmar tops were cracked and very fragile. I could not find anything local for the past 3 years. This Ebay seller (Anthony_n_heidi) seems to specialize in t-tops and knew exactly what I needed to replace the Lexmar tops. Many other sources could not verify that their tops had the correct large pin style latch. One seller had NOS tops in the box from a bought out dealership, but could not verify the pin style (they sold for $649.00). These cost me $300.00 plus shipping. They have some slight wear and new rubber. The seller was easy to deal with and has 100% positive feedback on over 2800 transactions.

Tops installed and I made an adjustment at the front to pull them down a little more snug. The glass vs. lexmar are much quieter while driving, even over railroad crossings. Those plastic things used to creak and groan.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote