Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 05-09-2012   #1
timothy.ramig

Just Got My First GTA!

Hello, my name is Timothy Ramig. I'm 23, so the car is older than me, but I am in the US Air Force and am just getting back from Afghanistan. I am stuck down in Virginia for a while and have to drive home anyways so I just picked up my first F Body! A one way rental car would have been about as expensive! Plus now with it as a DD, I can save the warranty on the truck (Military always seems to be sending us all over and miles rack up fast)

It's a 1987 GTA, 5.0L with the 5 Speed. It was a one owner car with 63K miles. So it seemed like a steal for $4,000. No modifications to it, so it's bone stock. Was looking through the window sticker and it had some cool 80's techy options like the dimming rearview mirror. Everything is in great shape. The worst part was the oxidized paint. But after a clay bar, some polish, and some wax, a good bit of life came back into it.

I added on some pictures of it, and look forward to joining the crowd! and learning a lot. It's way more fun than my first car! 1981 Mustang with the I6 and a 3-speed auto.

-Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9805.jpg (286.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8024.jpg (280.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (255.7 KB, 35 views)
timothy.ramig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #2
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Just Got My First GTA!

Welcome to the board Tim. Nice looking GTA. Have you tried Auto Geek for polishes and waxes? here's there web site http://www.autogeek.net/ They also have a forum where you ask questions about detailing a car. Meguiars as well. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/
Old 05-09-2012   #3
GTABill

Great find there. Both of the above mentioned sites are great to check out and I really recommend the Meguiar's Professional line of products (Although all the Meguiars products are excellent). They work great with a D/A polisher. Welcome to the site.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #4
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989

Welcome to the forum Tim and thank you for your service. I'm here in Virginia as well and if he need anything, just get in touch...Nice find...btw
Old 05-09-2012   #5
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987

Welcome! Nice car too!

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #6
TA PARTS PLACE

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

Welcome very nice GTA
Old 05-09-2012   #7
timothy.ramig

Thanks for the warm welcome! The Meguiars line is what I use; I've always been happy with how their line works together. I'm just trying to get it back to tip top factory running condition. Next are some new tires, the ones on it are about 11 years old, and I don't want to drive back to SD on them. Looks like there aren't too many options for the tire size though.
timothy.ramig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #8
prokilllsx

Super nice find!
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #9
89JerseyGTA

Cool GTA - Welcome and thanks for your service Tim.

Glad to hear shes all original - classic, keep it clean.
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #10
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Nice GTA and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your work on the exterior finish issue. I am unsure of the items that have been suggested will be effective or not. I was not so lucky during the time when my GTA had the similar issue, in my situation the clear coat on my GTA was starting to become cloudy and then it eventually started to come off. Some guys at the auto parts stores would suggest things like color matching polish. But all that would do is make the cloudy clear coat a redish color but you could still see it because it was dull and not shiny.

The only way that I was able to completely repair the issue with the exterior clear coat on my GTA was to remove it all with fine sand paper and then have the entire GTA repainted. I think it is impossible to fix the clear coat issues that the GTA had by simply applying rubbing compounds and waxes. The only way is to completely remove the clear coat and have the car repainted.

Good luck.

Yumiko
Old 05-10-2012   #11
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988

like the colour, and thats not a shot at you, mines red too...and pink and orange. thus is the scourge of red cars.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seans-...14128911992060
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #12
GTABill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO23 View Post
like the colour, and thats not a shot at you, mines red too...and pink and orange. thus is the scourge of red cars.
Red is definitely a hard one to keep up but with some work it can be done as long as the clear coat isn't completely gone. It'll take some 2000 grit sand paper watered down and a lot of patience. I've been able to take some of the heavier wind scratches out with that and then use a good compound (3M or Meguiars Ultimate Compound) will usually take care of the rest. Of course afterwards a good glaze or polish should be applied before waxing and you will be suprised at the difference. With mine being garaged, I was suprised at how much better and deeper the paint looked. This pic was taken 6 months after the above mentioned steps were done and I am very proud to say that there's been no repainting.........it's all original 1991 Bright Red.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote