Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-21-2011   #21
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Re: New GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I looked at that link and I am sure that you know that the front rims are different from the rear rims. The seller says that the photograph is of the rear rims, but the second photograph is of rear rims also. Make sure you see the photographs of the front rims also to make sure that they are front rims and not just four rear rims. If I was buying them I would ask for front rim photographs also, not just two different photographs of rear rims.

Yumiko
I know that put was just putting up an example and did not pay attention to that detail. I am just saying you can get rims in really nice shape for cheap on CL!~
Old 10-22-2011   #22
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I just wanted everyone that reads this thread to fully understand what is in those photographs. I think it would be too bad if someone got four rear rims thinking that there were two front ones and two rear ones.

My GTA has all front rims on it. As I think someone mentioned, it is nice to have it this way so you can rotate the wheels without have to remove the tires. The tires are directional so when we rotate my GTA tires, we have to keep them on the same side of the car. That is the only thing we have to remember when rotating them around. I also have a full complete set of correct front and rear rims that are in storage for when I want my GTA to be correct with rear style rims on it.

Yumiko
Old 10-22-2011   #23
prokilllsx

I don't see where spending 400 to have to factory rims straightened and polished is a bad deal, assuming they come back straight, clean and shiny. I love the factory wheels and spent more than that getting mine in this powder-coated.
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #24
GO_G8RZ

$400 seems reasonable if they do a good job and you are satisfied. Let me know how it goes. I am in No. Colorado and am also (passively) looking for a wheel repair service.
GO_G8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #25
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOP350 View Post
Im sure you have seen them but Classic industries has these wheels new for 720$ a set of 4. You can even do 4 fronts if you want 4 easy rotations.
If did four fronts wouldnt that make the rear tires hide a bit in the wheel well?
GhostGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #26
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_G8RZ View Post
$400 seems reasonable if they do a good job and you are satisfied. Let me know how it goes. I am in No. Colorado and am also (passively) looking for a wheel repair service.
Will do, I'm taking the wheels down there this weekend.
Old 11-07-2011   #27
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I just wanted everyone that reads this thread to fully understand what is in those photographs. I think it would be too bad if someone got four rear rims thinking that there were two front ones and two rear ones.

My GTA has all front rims on it. As I think someone mentioned, it is nice to have it this way so you can rotate the wheels without have to remove the tires. The tires are directional so when we rotate my GTA tires, we have to keep them on the same side of the car. That is the only thing we have to remember when rotating them around. I also have a full complete set of correct front and rear rims that are in storage for when I want my GTA to be correct with rear style rims on it.

Yumiko
Yumiko,
Did you notice any driveability issues with all fronts?
Old 11-07-2011   #28
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I have not noticed any difference at all. But also realize that I only drive my GTA nicely and my GTA has no performance modifications to it. If someone lowers their GTA or drives it like on a race or something, the front rims on the back may have some type of affect. I do not know it though because I only drive my GTA not even 1,000 miles each year and I always drive it nicely.

Also the looks of it with the front rims in the back is not really that noticable. Interestingly though during the time when my GTA was pretty new, some guys would say that they thought that the front rims were supposed to be on the back and that they must have been put on my GTA incorrectly. I think they thought this because when you look at the front rims from the side, they look like they could be bigger than the ones that are on the back. However all of us know that they are exactly the same thickness, the offset is just unusual. The factory back rims seem to be thinner when you look at them from the sides only because of the way the offset is.

So I only drive my GTA not even 1,000 each year and when I drive it, I drive it nicely and my GTA does not have performance modifications to it. So for my application, there seems to be absolutely no difference with the front style rims on the back of my GTA compared to when the rear style rims are on the back. I hope that this helps.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 11-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #29
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Thanks for the reply Yumiko. I am working some different deals on craigslist on rims. Maybe I can put together a good set for less the repair for the ones I have. I will keep you all posted.
Old 11-08-2011   #30
TTOP350

Four front wheels move the rears out a few MMs.. it helps handling a lil bit...
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #31
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Well Santa helped me find a donor car interior for my car. So it looks like I have a nice winter project to tinker own!