Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-06-2011   #21
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Hawk's Third Gen Is no good

hawks gives you these little dollar store clips, they screw into the end and your supposed to slide it onto the back. they wrap around the window frame. the lady on the phone was a real ----- to me. she said it was my fault it didnt fit. and expected me to drill the holes and attach the clips to test it, when i could clearly tell that it was no good.

this is the best i could get it to look, the other side is nice and flush. i have noticed a lot of people who have this gap problem.

Last edited by SeanO23; 05-06-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: messed up pics
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #22
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO23 View Post
hawks gives you these little dollar store clips, they screw into the end and your supposed to slide it onto the back. they wrap around the window frame. the lady on the phone was a real ----- to me. she said it was my fault it didnt fit. and expected me to drill the holes and attach the clips to test it, when i could clearly tell that it was no good.

this is the best i could get it to look, the other side is nice and flush. i have noticed a lot of people who have this gap problem.

http://www.facebook.com/thirdgen#!/p...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/thirdgen#!/p...type=1&theater
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #23
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Im in the process of putting mine on (tinkering in my free time). Biggest problem is it is about 1/4 too narrow overall just enough to make it not fit onto the clips. The front tips are flexible enough to spread but the rear is a problem.
Other problem is too much gap at the deck lid and some minor unevenness in the contouring on the front tips.
I plan to rough in repairs with fiberglass and use a very light amount of body filler to finish it out.

I heard previously about it being too thin at the mounting points so I cut holes in the bottom and packed these regions with fiberglass & resin.

Despite these issues, however, I think the quality overall is extremely good for an aftermarket fiberglass part.
I have bought parts for other cars and I have seen other peoples cars with much worse quality aftermarket parts. My expectation before purchasing this was that it would probably fit OK but it would need some massaging to get it up to my standards.

The too narrow issue is a headache that should be addressed, but the problem at deck lid is understandable - since these cars were not perfect when they rolled off the line.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #24
GTA50

I'm wondering if there has been a slide in quality over the years. If they are still using the original mold then wear would suggest some of the fitment issues. My original fit still looks great and is comparable to the urethane wing (my other GTA has that for comparison).

Suggestion - take measurements (from the originals and the replicas) and send them back to Hawks. If warranted and enough numbers, perhaps some resolution can come your way.

It troubles me if the quality has slipped that much over the few years. My Hawks aerowing fit beautifully, very sad to hear that the recent ones do not.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #25
GTA50

You can also PM me for my instructions for my Hawks aerowing install. Seriously, with photos and all, it only took 45 min. I do wonder if the quality has slipped over the years.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #26
Kman71

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

Probably just got lucky with my spoiler that is was not that bad of a fit, plus I have a good body shop to do the work. If I did the work to replace the spoiler, it would be in worse shape than the cracked original spoiler I replaced. LOL

TTA's # 1040 & 613

Kman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #27
Kman71

GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO23 View Post
how did you get the gap to go away?, did your body shop put caulking on the edge to hide the gap? the white helps a lot to make it look good. nice TTa's
The body shop worked the right side of the spoiler to make it fit better, they called me right away to come look at it when they had it fit up for installation. The left and rear looked good, but the right had a huge gap, so they said they could work on the right side with my permission and then use a caulk to hide whatever gap was left, so you can't tell from left to right side that there is a difference, plus they used a caulk to seal the wings as well so they have have more support than just the one clip.

TTA's # 1040 & 613

Kman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #28
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

Has anyone here with a '91-2 GTA replaced their wing with Hawks version? I recently bought one for my Formula and it has some similar issues as the gaps shown here but not as severe. After working with it for a couple of hours I got it looking good and will be using some foam weatherstripping as a gasket to fill the last of the gaps when it comes back from paint.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #29
89-5.7GTA
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post
You can also PM me for my instructions for my Hawks aerowing install. Seriously, with photos and all, it only took 45 min. I do wonder if the quality has slipped over the years.
I can vouch for that, Gary's instructions are top-notch.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #30
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post
I'm wondering if there has been a slide in quality over the years. If they are still using the original mold then wear would suggest some of the fitment issues. My original fit still looks great and is comparable to the urethane wing (my other GTA has that for comparison).

Suggestion - take measurements (from the originals and the replicas) and send them back to Hawks. If warranted and enough numbers, perhaps some resolution can come your way.

It troubles me if the quality has slipped that much over the few years. My Hawks aerowing fit beautifully, very sad to hear that the recent ones do not.

Gary.
Im thinking the same as u Gary I really cant complain at all about mine, took no time to put on and line up, I think the quality must have sliped alittle. I cant remember where hawks gets them from I knew at one time, I really cant ditch Hawks there one of the few guys around that try to keep our cars alive, Has anyone spoken with Bruce I think thats his name that owns the place
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #31
GTAhot92
And a bag of chips!

Classic Ind and National eventually will start. Soon the demand will be there. Someone should forward this link to thread to Bruce @ Hawk's.
1981 Turbo Formula - Sold
1992 GTA 5th Anniversary #7
1989 Silverado
1994 Plymouth Laser R/T
1984 Maserati Biturbo
GTAhot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #32
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

2 things to remember, one, they are not OEM GM parts, and 2, Hawks does not mfg the parts. With that being said, the first point is the reason for the difficulty in fitting. My OE spoiler that on the car new, did not fit well. As a mater of fact, look at the right rear qtr panel, it doesnt even fit right. This should tell you that there will be fitment issues.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote