Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-04-2010   #1
Rauch

'87 GTA Authenticity.

Currently, I do not have the money for a report from the GM Archive/PHS, but I'm just a little curious on a car I recently bought over the weekend.

It was claimed to be an '87 GTA, and it certainly looks like one, or some one did a hell of a job mimicking it. It seems to have the original emblems (They look very aged/cracked/dull) with the digital dashboard and GTA embossed on the dashboard pocket.

However, it is missing the SPI label, so I do not know for sure. I'm just crossing over into Muscle cars from Imports, so I'm not as sharp as most of you on this subject, but to my knowledge the vehicle title contains information from the manufacturer, correct?

Looking at the title, it states that it is a Pontiac GTA, or something of the sort (I currently have it at home and not on me). So could this potentially be the verifying factor?
Rauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #2
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: '87 GTA Authenticity.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. The Trans AM and GTA shared the same 1G2FW VIN prefix while the base Firebird and Formula shared the same 1G2FS VIN prefix. This is why a title may state "Trans Am / GTA" on it, but that does not mean the vehicle in question is a GTA. The DMV does not know, or record, a Trans AM from a GTA.

My Trans Am (non-GTA) has "Trans Am / GTA" on the title because of the above.

The digital dash was optional on the Trans AM, and was in fact first available on the Trans Am before the GTA was produced. The "GTA" embroidered map pocket would only be found on a GTA, but that is a simple swap. As these cars are atleast 13 years old, all sorts of parts could have been replaced.

The SPID, located in the center console, was the free and easy way to verify a GTA by the Y84 RPO code. Either ordering an invoice, or try entering in your VIN into compnine.com, are all about the options left. The VIN likely won't appear in compnine.com, as they only have Canadian VINs for pre 1991 Third Gens, but it's worth a shot.

Really, anything else is just a guess. Nearly all options on the GTA were available, as an option, on the Trans Am as well. And because these cars are as old as they are, and because it's common to clone a GTA, it's hard to take it at face value.
Old 10-05-2010   #3
GTA50

The other options would be to try running the VIN through the parts department at your local GM dealership (although that is hit and miss with US cars) or to try the compnine website. As mentioned above, you are looking for the Y84 code.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #4
90 L98 TransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT View Post
...........The SPID, located in the center console, was the free and easy way to verify a GTA by the Y84 RPO code. Either ordering an invoice, or try entering in your VIN into compnine.com, are all about the options left. The VIN likely won't appear in compnine.com, as they only have Canadian VINs for pre 1991 Third Gens, but it's worth a shot..

compnine had all the info for my domestic '90 TA including the JG1 aluminum driveshaft which is not listed on the window sticker or SPID.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #5
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Sorry about that, that was a typo. Compnine shows 20,553 1990 Firebird VINs which is the same amount of Firebirds built for 1990 model year, alteast according to some sources.

I should have said pre 1990. 1990 is the only model year that Compnine shows complete records for the ThirdGen Firebird side. 1991 and 1992 are missing some VINs, or atleast are believed to be missing some VINs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 L98 TransAm View Post
compnine had all the info for my domestic '90 TA including the JG1 aluminum driveshaft which is not listed on the window sticker or SPID.
Old 12-13-2010   #6
rhomanski
The Born Loser

The original window sticker will also show it as a GTA if you have it. Some are lucky enough to have this document. I have kept all the original documents from mine. Lucky I did too because I took it in to get a new console put in and told the shop to transfer the spid from the lid. They lost it of course. Spilt milk they called it. I had enough foresight to write down everything on it though. If I ever find someone who reprints them I'll have it done and put it where it belongs. I would imagine if you have four disc, aluminum drive shaft, WS6 package, electronic dash, electronic air conditioning, power everything, that it won't matter much. It wouldn't to me. The few options I didn't get on mine I have added, like the overhead console and lighted rear view mirror. I have a lot of parts to make it a notchback, but then I changed my mind on that. So they sit in the garage. If it is just a clone but has all of that, enjoy it and don't worry about it. It will be many years before the proof will be important for resale. Especially with as many miles as we are accruing on them. I saw a low mileage TTA on Barrett Jackson go for just over 20,000 last year so I know mine would be about 5,000 with as many miles as I have on it. It certainly is not a garage queen. A car is expensive enough, so I say make it what you want and hang the rest, we could be dead tomorrow. Enjoy it today.

Regards,

Ron.
Old 12-15-2010   #7
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

That almost happened to me rhomanski. I changed the center console in my GTA in I think it was 1994 and I threw away the entire original center console included was the sticker in the console. But the next morning before the garbage truck came, I was looking at the console and saying goodbye to it when I noticed the sticker in there and thought about it for a little bit and decided at the last minute before driving to work that I would peel out the sticker and keep it. My friend who works at GM told me to always keep that sticker because codes to replace certain things on my GTA are on that sticker. Now looking back to that time I am so happy that I decided to save that sticker. I actually did not know anything about the importance of it until 2001 when I found this GTA site and read about what makes a GTA.... a GTA And it is a code on that sticker.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-15-2010 at 01:27 AM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #8
rhomanski
The Born Loser

It makes it harder to prove but not impossible. I still have the window sticker from when it was new and it clearly says GTA and has the vin number on it. Plus I wrote down the codes from it. So it could be recreated as well. Here's the scan, if I get it to work. I just did my first image the other day, so I'm still new at this.

Regards,

Ron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img023.jpg (41.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-15-2010   #9
rhomanski
The Born Loser

It looks like it did work Yumiko, I'm glad you saved yours. I stopped by to see if mine was done, but it wasn't, I noticed my sticker on the counter at that time. When I picked it up they said it disappeared from the counter overnight and couldn't find it the next day. I believe that was in '99. I kept the original console because it was the kind without a pointer and the replacement shows what gear you are in. If only I hadn't told them to swap it I would still have it. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Here's a picture of me from years ago. Can you guess which one is me?

Regards,

Ron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img018.jpg (29.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-16-2010   #10
2manytoys

Your picture scanned too small. I would guess you were in the Navy looking at the uniforms.
black on black
2manytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #11
halfmoontrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauch View Post
Currently, I do not have the money for a report from the GM Archive/PHS, but I'm just a little curious on a car I recently bought over the weekend.

It was claimed to be an '87 GTA, and it certainly looks like one, or some one did a hell of a job mimicking it. It seems to have the original emblems (They look very aged/cracked/dull) with the digital dashboard and GTA embossed on the dashboard pocket.

However, it is missing the SPI label, so I do not know for sure. I'm just crossing over into Muscle cars from Imports, so I'm not as sharp as most of you on this subject, but to my knowledge the vehicle title contains information from the manufacturer, correct?

Looking at the title, it states that it is a Pontiac GTA, or something of the sort (I currently have it at home and not on me). So could this potentially be the verifying factor?
This site has great info, but here's a few: The Bird in the rear center section should be gold, the 16" wheels should not have dimples at the edges of each "spoke", the horn button should also say GTA, no trans am vents on front fenders, and should have articulating bucket seats. It will have the TPI engine, but can be a 305, and it can have rear drum brakes.

Steve
halfmoontrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #12
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoys View Post
Your picture scanned too small. I would guess you were in the Navy looking at the uniforms.
Yes, picture is sort of too small to really see it well. But thank you for posting it.

Yumiko
Old 12-23-2010   #13
GTA50

The challenge is (as already mentioned) that many of the parts can be swapped over. The code you need to confirm is "Y84". That is specific for the GTA. If you cannot get confirmation from the dealership or from CompNine, then I would spend a day (with a micrometer, etc.) and start matching up the specs with the possible rpo codes.

For example, front and rear sway bar diameters. Then go through the other options - gold rims (with the correct dimpling pattern

Also, check the position of badging....in other words follow the authentication tips from this site.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote