Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-10-2010   #1
ars2pd

After Market CD player for my GTA with DD

I did a quick search, and didn't find anything...so thought I'd ask here. I want to keep my car as stock as possible, except the radio quality is bugging me, and even then I want to be able to switch back to stock if I choose so. With that said, I wanted to find a stereo that would fit my 1.5 GM DIN, with as little modification as possible.

However, I have the digital dash, and the steering wheel controls...with that said, is the installation still simple? Will the radio controls still work? I wanted to hook some subs up, and have a custom ported box. Just curious on wiring.

Any help would be great on cd player models that would work well, and anything to be cautious about, or if i can just get an adapter and plug and chug. Thanks!
ars2pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #2
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: After Market CD player for my GTA with DD

I would check with Crutchfield on the net. There all kinds of aftermarket radios you can get. Wiring harness you can get that has the connectors too keep the stock wiring. Scosche makes some good radio kits and has wiring harness's as well.
Old 08-10-2010   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988

Sounds like you are kinda doing what I wanted to do as well. I wanted sound quality better than a new car, but I wanted it to look stock. I didn't want any subs showing, wires, or speakers. It is extremely easy to replace the radio in our cars. I can do a complete radio change in my car in under 10 minutes. Best buy has most of the wires you need, but for buying head units and speakers nothing beats crutchfield.com. When you order with crutchfield they will include any connectors, or other things you need to install at no charge and it ships out fast. That is where I got all my stuff from. Depending on how much you are looking to spend I would recommend going with a Pioneer head unit. They are the ones that really allow you to fine tune your music and have a lot more settings and features than most others. They have a few that are backlit red to match the dash lights on our cars. If you do that, you are probably going to want to install some new speakers as well. I have pioneer 4 ways in the sails, and 3 ways in the dash. They have awesome highs and great bass. I have a 600 watt 4 channel amp hidden in my spare tire well to wake them all up too. With that amp those speakers can get so loud they hurt my ears and do it with rich, clean, powerful sound. As for the steering wheel controls I don't think any of the newer radio equipment is compatible with our controls. Maybe someone else here know for sure.

This is a pioneer that I liked and had my eyes on.. if you look on crutchfield the site will tell you what will fit you your car or not. Do some browsing on there and find something in your budget you like..

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #4
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

I went to Crutchfield and bought my Alpine. Of course, I will probably enjoy it a lot better once I get it running again.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #5
cody1989GTA
89' 350 TPI mustang killer

GTA Year: 1989

good luck, im installing a stock stereo just for keeping it original , look into alpine systems

Flame Red Metallic
350 TPI
Leather seats
4 speed auto
cody1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010   #6
Steveh4263

humount.com makes a radio kit that is flush with the rest of the car not cheap though. Looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTA humount.JPG (223.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg user94921_pic7809_1255457105.jpg (66.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-11-2010   #7
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

Pioneer and Alpine both made radios to fit these cars but have discontinued them. One of these pops up on ebay from time to time. There's a couple of Pioneer DEH-P77 units on ebay right now.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #8
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

Don't know if Pioneer still makes their 1.5 DIN CD unit that they used to but it was a fine unit.

No SWCs though.... good luck getting those to work. I've got a set of the PAC remote controls that I never could get to work right.... if anybody wants them just pay the shipping and I'll send them along to you.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #9
merc3065

JVC also had a 1.5 DIN tape unit, they may have upgraded it to a CD unit, been a while since i've done car audio.
Old 08-11-2010   #10
ars2pd

Well, I just bought a box, subs, and amp. I had some infinity 6x9's I was going to install (as that is what my previous trans am had), and to my surprise...there are like 2 or 3 different types of speakers by the back seat, and are not 6x9's. I have the premium sound setup...so maybe its different? Anyways, I buy all my stuff off ebay mostly (I'm cheap :P ) So you can enter these ebay numbers in the search box and see what you think.

Recap, basically a 1800W kenwood mono amp, Two 12" 1200W sony Xplod's, and a custom ported box that fits in the back hatch. I just need to find a headunit - Ive been watching the PDH-77 or w/e that pioneer makes, but they are soo expensive. Is there something just as good that can have a conversion kit to make the DIN smaller, and be just as good of quality?
ars2pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #11
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

There are several kits that allow the use of a standard DIN size radio but most have a 1/2 inch extension built in to allow the radio to fit in the pod but this makes the radio stick out which looks bad. I found a flushmount kit and gutted my pod to allow the radio to fit as it should with no extension.
Old 08-11-2010   #12
88 Black GTA
GTA fanatic

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIX...ml?tp=3405&s=0
This might be the same one that Frankie has but if it is not it might be of help. My stock head unit is slowly crapping out on me and I am very tempted to switch it out with a aftermarket one but I am having a hard time doing it. I just end up listening to the music the engine makes . Every car show I go to where there is a third gen, they always have a aftermarket deck, they just seems to look out of place to me.

Firebird owners of Minnesota - Facebook.
88 Black GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #13
Steveh4263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
There are several kits that allow the use of a standard DIN size radio but most have a 1/2 inch extension built in to allow the radio to fit in the pod but this makes the radio stick out which looks bad. I found a flushmount kit and gutted my pod to allow the radio to fit as it should with no extension.
What kit was that you used? You must have removed some plastic that keeps the radio from sitting flush. I noticed there is some plastic or something that makes it so the radio won't fit flush. The humount kit makes it so the radio sits flush. Makes it look more oem.
Old 08-12-2010   #14
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

I don't remember the brand as I've had it for years. I did remove some plastic along with most of the back wall of the pod. I reinforces the back with old style metal backstrap material to help keep it's shape and rigidity.
Old 08-23-2010   #15
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I dunno how much sound you're going for, but I wanted to keep my car looking stock. The head unit in my car was starting to take a dump, so I got a Pontiac head unit with more power from a 92-95 Bonneville. The one in my car looks like this:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...onneville1.htm

The radio looks like it belongs there and has a ton of power going to my cerwin Vega 6x9s. I'm still running front speakers because of clearance issues, but I'm extremely happy with this setup.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #16
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA View Post
I dunno how much sound you're going for, but I wanted to keep my car looking stock. The head unit in my car was starting to take a dump, so I got a Pontiac head unit with more power from a 92-95 Bonneville. The one in my car looks like this:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...onneville1.htm

The radio looks like it belongs there and has a ton of power going to my cerwin Vega 6x9s. I'm still running front speakers because of clearance issues, but I'm extremely happy with this setup.
That’s what I did too.
I also used the Bonneville factory subwoofer amp that goes with that radio.
The amp fits behind the dash where the original GTA factory subwoofer amp would go.

Another plus is that since it is a Pontiac radio, the illumination color scheme matches perfectly.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #17
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

I did not know that there was a subwoofer amp that goes with that radio. Thanks! I'm going to start looking for it now.

Did the Bonneville system also come with seperate subs? Or did all the bass just go through the 6x9s?

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #18
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

In the Bonneville, the subwoofer amp is mounted just below the radio. The rear speakers are 6 X 9 with dual coils in the same speaker - 4 & 10 ohm. The rear tweeters are located separate from the 6 X 9's.

I use Bonneville speakers in the rear compartment hooked up for subwoofer only and have aftermarket 6 X 9's in the sail panels wired for regular radio. (To put Bonneville speakers in sail panels you would need to come up with a mounting arrangement for the tweeters and possibly cut the plastic rim on the speakers for shallower mounting depth).

I have not done it yet, but apparently it is also possible to wire an auxilliary input on this head unit for an MP3 player.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote