Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-12-2010   #41
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

Re: So removing the TB, changing thermostat.

If your going to spend $150 on a bolt I would spend little more and just replace the lower with a used aftermarket piece.

I have a Superram setup with a Accel lower intake base comming in that I don't need since I have one already, if your interested.
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #42
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

The desert is a killer environment for these cars. For cooling purposes, my next mod that I suggest is an aluminum radiator. That's actually next on my list. I want to be able to use my AC without having to worry about it...

Sorry to hear about the bolt. At least it's a peace of mind for you. With that in mind when you do the fan sensor next, take extra care and soak it down in penetrant. Next time, use Aero Kroil. This stuff is the best and IMHO works 10x better than PB Blaster.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #43
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Yeah, I was planning on getting a nice radiator as well. I have to stop putting money into this car though. I start college next year, and I need to get a another car. This car is just way to nice to be driving it around to college, to work, etc. and have it bake in the sun here. I decided I am not going to be upgrading the engine or anything else until after I get another car.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #44
90 L98 TransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
........ This car is just way to nice to be driving it around to college, to work, etc. and have it bake in the sun here............
Smart man. Leaving that car in a college parking lot would just be setting yourself up for disappointment if some envious low-life vandalized it.

It's always a good idea to spray down fasteners with penetrant in advance when you know you've got some work to do - brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc.. or just give 'em an occaisional blast when you are under the car.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #45
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I do drive the car to my high school, but there I have about 3 rows of spots all to myself and I don't have to worry about anything because the entire lot has cameras on every light pole. This year upcoming is my senior year in HS, and I turn 18 in two days! Anyways, the car is going in on Friday to get fixed. I did drive it again today and it was totally fine. It is 105 today and the car stayed around 190 with the new T stat. Even sitting stopped in traffic for about 10 minutes it didn't go any higher than 200. I was extremely pleased!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 07-13-2010   #46
Corp Z

GTA Year: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
I do drive the car to my high school, but there I have about 3 rows of spots all to myself and I don't have to worry about anything because the entire lot has cameras on every light pole. This year upcoming is my senior year in HS, and I turn 18 in two days! Anyways, the car is going in on Friday to get fixed. I did drive it again today and it was totally fine. It is 105 today and the car stayed around 190 with the new T stat. Even sitting stopped in traffic for about 10 minutes it didn't go any higher than 200. I was extremely pleased!
A good mechanic/machine shop guy will have no trouble remviong that bolt. The fact that its holding a good temp even in that evil desert heat is a good sign that theres no damage. Dont get discouraged though. Breaking the heads off bolts just comes with the territory on a 22 year old car. If you have the cash or ability get a good beater ASAP. A GTA shouldnt be used as a daily driver. Keep the miles down and it will last until your retired.
Corp Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #47
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Definitely. After this week I am not spending any more money on it until I have another car. Even though I don't know how I will be able to afford the insurance on two cars being the age that I am here in las vegas. I pay $300 a month for insurance with a good grade discount... And I know that breaking bolts comes with the territory, it just really sucks when you don't know what the hell to do after they are stuck! I need someone to show me how to drill these bad boys out before I try doing it on the intake manifold of my only car..

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 07-17-2010   #48
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I dropped it off at the service station yesterday morning and they had to keep the car overnight... I just went over to check on it and they had the whole plenum off to get to it, but the bolt was out. The mechanic told me it was an absolute nightmare to drill out, and they had to get their best guy to come in to drill it. Its still totally apart, and they said it would be done in a few hours. I am glad I took it in to get it done now, because I probably would have messed it up more.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 07-17-2010   #49
Jack's GTA
Love them GTA's

Good to hear!
Old 07-18-2010   #50
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

Yeah it is. You know this would be a good time to do a cam swap.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #51
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Well its all fixed up and I have the car. Yesterday I took it for a ride when I got it back and went to see how much it is going to be to get my windows tinted. They said it would be $165 for the best quality tint they have. I am getting it done sometime this week, and its going to look damn good. Then on the way home I stopped to look at new cars because I had nothing better to do, and my mom is looking for one. I went to the dodge dealer last to look at challengers. I stopped in, and someone flagged me down and asked me if I wanted to sell it. I asked how much? Then he said not me, Mr. Towbin! In case you guys don't know, Josh Towbin is the owner of a few dodge dealerships here in Vegas and he had his own reality TV show on A&E called The King of cars. (link to youtube vid) I looked in my rearveiw and sure enough there was the king of cars himself walking over to my GTA. That youtube vid is even at the same dealership I went to yesterday. He introduced himself to me and we were talking for about 5 mins and he kept saying how beautiful my car was and if I would trade it in. He was a very nice guy, He never made on offer but I dont blame him. Yesterday the car looked like ass, the mechanics really made it filthy it was covered in dust, hand prints, and all kinds of junk. I thought it was cool though a local celebrity digged my car. Last night when I got home I spent 4 hours washing it, cleaning all the brake dust out of my crosslace wheels by hand, coat of liquid glass on the paint, tire shine, the whole nine yards. Today I am doing the interior and engine bay. I sure am happy the car is fixed up!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 07-18-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2010   #52
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

I seen that guy on tv I dont care for him much but atleast he has excellent taste in cars
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote