Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-16-2010   #1
street_carnage

code 34 and 36 diagnostics...

hey guys, first post on this site im usually over at thirdgen.org so ill introduce myself. Im a proud owner of an 89 gta l98 with 90,000km from calgary, alberta, canada. Pretty sweet ive only seen 1 other gta on the road here.

maybe you can help me. Car is stalling while driving and at startup occasionally. Fuel economy has gotten worse. Smells rich when trying to stall while driving. throwing code 34 and 36. got bad today when i could barely make it home but now its running fine again but the ses light is still on.

its pissing out rain so im not working on it tonight, but getting everything in order for when i do.

first i will actually inspect the maf for broken wires, damage etc. Note that i have a cold air intake which only fits with the maf unbolted from the mount so it could possibly be damaged right?

if the maf looks ok visually. i will replace the maf burn off and power relays, reset ecm and check. And i will check the TB and all hoses etc. for vacuum leaks. Oh, and what about the fuel pump relay...it usually primes...

Just to be sure i will check/adjust TPS and iAC

Any other advice? im pretty new to TPI ive always had carbs in my third gens.

1 other thing, are napa etc. relays really that bad, should i really pay 2x more for gm relays?

thanks guys, i hope you can help.
street_carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #2
budfreak1
stang stumper

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: code 34 and 36 diagnostics...

Welcome to the site.
What are codes 34 and 36? I don't have my haynes manual handy right now.

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #3
street_carnage

i think 34 is usually voltage problems with the maf, usually a relay
and 36 is usually maf burn off. usually a relay, from what ive read a code 33 usually indicates a bad maf but they can all kind of mix up
Old 06-16-2010   #4
street_carnage

found this..

34 MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor voltage high - pressure high/vacuum low OR MAF (Mass Air Flow) signal high - flow low.
Code 34 ~ (1985-1990) Clean the throttle body. Check MAF connections. Replace MAF relay. Replace MAF Sensor. Possible ECM failure.

36 MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor burn-off circuit failure OR fault in direct ignition system OR Missing pulses in electronic spark timing signal.
Code 36 ~ Check connections at MAF, MAF relay and MAF Burn off relay. Check resistance of MAF relay and MAF burnoff relay with digital Ohm meter. replace if less than 18 Ohms. Possible ECM failure.
Old 06-16-2010   #5
GTA50

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_carnage View Post
first i will actually inspect the maf for broken wires, damage etc. Note that i have a cold air intake which only fits with the maf unbolted from the mount so it could possibly be damaged right?
I pulled out my Helmes manual for 1988 and when looking at code 34, the first line says: "to check for loose or damaged air duct between MAF sensor and throttle body". Depending on what you have to do with the mount for your CAI, that could do it. From the manual, code 34 is due to low, rough, unstable or incorrect idle problem. To test, disconnect the MAF sensor. If the idle improves, replace the MAF sensor.

For code 36, if you have a wiring diagram, ground CKT 900 (blk wire) to the ECM (use a jumper wire at ECM connector "D12"). If the test light is dim, check for corroded or faulty connections. If okay, replace the relay.

Hope that helps for starters.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #6
budfreak1
stang stumper

GTA Year: 1991

Ahhh yes, I remember code 34 and 36 now as I had to deal with that on my 87. Check the relays and ESPECIALLY check the wiring to the relays. My wiring pulled out of the bottom of the sockets for the relays and was touching each other and shorting out. As soon as I fixed the wiring, the codes went away and it ran pefectly from then on.

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #7
GTA88
Gary

GTA Year: 1988

My check engine light came on and it was giving me the MAF code, my mechanic cleaned it and got rid of the code and its been fine. Good luck with yours!

1988 Pontiac GTA (A.K.A Scarlitt)
1989 GMC C3500 454 DUALLY (Daily Driver)
GTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #8
street_carnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA88 View Post
My check engine light came on and it was giving me the MAF code, my mechanic cleaned it and got rid of the code and its been fine. Good luck with yours!
cleaned what? all the connections between the maf and the relays, ecm etc?
Old 06-17-2010   #9
GTA88
Gary

GTA Year: 1988

I came back from laconia and the engine light came on. I was dropping my car off to have the suspension and exhaust checked cause I bottomed out a few time on the crappy NH roads. My mechanic read the codes it was the MAF. He said he took off the MAF, cleaned it and reset the code and it should be fine cause my MAF is only like a year old. The MAF are very sensitive. Hope that helps you.

1988 Pontiac GTA (A.K.A Scarlitt)
1989 GMC C3500 454 DUALLY (Daily Driver)
GTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #10
merc3065

Its a very fine platinum wire inside the MAF. Explains why its super costly...

But, 34, MAF is reading high voltage when it shouldn't.
Check the relay, replace it, they are like 12 bucks at partsource or napa.
Replace the burn off relay (code 36), I believe that the MAF relay and the burnoff are the same.

Verify that theres no odd buildup on the connectors at the relays.
Check the MAF wiring at the MAF sensor. Same same check for buildup or damage.

If it still throws the codes after the relays are replaced, replace the MAF or swap it out with a known working one to test.
Old 06-17-2010   #11
street_carnage

so napa relays arent that bad?, i was told to get delco ones cause the napas fail but they are 2 or 3x more expensive. thanks for the info
Old 06-17-2010   #12
street_carnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA88 View Post
I came back from laconia and the engine light came on. I was dropping my car off to have the suspension and exhaust checked cause I bottomed out a few time on the crappy NH roads. My mechanic read the codes it was the MAF. He said he took off the MAF, cleaned it and reset the code and it should be fine cause my MAF is only like a year old. The MAF are very sensitive. Hope that helps you.
im confused, i dont think you can "physically" clean the actual maf, you can the connections etc. maybe im wrong
Old 06-18-2010   #13
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

Pretty sure he means connection.
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #14
merc3065

You can clean the maf, you just have to be REAL careful. That platinum wire is like a hair and is fragile to say the least. You'd also have to descreen the MAF too.

But yes, NAPA relays are fine, I've been running mine now for 6 years, 25000miles no issues?. Napa usually has Delco as well. Just going by experience.
Old 06-18-2010   #15
street_carnage

so i pulled the relays, the burnoff relay has been "repaired" before somebody cut the wires short and actually put them on the mail connector with about 3/4" of bare wire exposed on 3 of the 5 wires and they are all loose and needless to say the male and female part of the connector relay are melted. I hope this didnt fry my maf. My next obstacle is trying to find the male connector.
Gm has it, 88 bucks, relay is 25 they are both oval now and mine is square. im not gonna mess with wreckers. too much time trying to find it. All the male connector plugs i can find online like at tpi parts are square and only 4 wires. what to do....
i ordered a napa one its square, now i need to find a male 5 pin connector i can splice in but the only ones i see online are oval, any ideas?... dont know if i will pick it up or not. just might take the plunge and spend the $ at gm and pray that my maf is still alright.
Old 06-19-2010   #16
merc3065

Check corvettes, camaros, firebirds.

They all have the same parts when it came to the MAF setup just sometimes in different locations.
Old 06-19-2010   #17
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_carnage View Post
My next obstacle is trying to find the male connector.
Gm has it, 88 bucks
AC Delco here in the states carries a lot of 'pigtails' that include relay connectors. BUT.... you can contact the folks at http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com down here in the states in SC, and they can pull any part of a harness out that you want. Bruce Hawkins is a good guy there, you can depend on them to send you exactly what you need.

I will pull my AC delco wiring catalog out and look at that relay, maybe I can find something in their replacement pigtails for you.

Gerry-
Norfolk, VA

http://www.gmassie.net/l98gta
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010   #18
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

There is also a searchable index of AC Delco pigtails at: http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi/wiring-connectors/
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #19
street_carnage

check this out.
http://tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/2349

it says maf power 85-87 tpi but looks exactly like the part. problem solved i hope
Old 06-21-2010   #20
street_carnage

http://tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/4571
actually i think this is the part