Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 04-16-2010   #1
1988TAGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Speakers

Greetings everone, I would like to get you opinion on what i should use to replace my speakers for the Front Dash , and the UQ7 Speaker setup.

Sombody told me once the fiero had some, but what do they have and will they fit?

Any Ideas?

SOLD JUNE 23 2012
5.7 GM Crate
Ford Racing 24# Injectors

/ Custom Chip / Headers
/ TB Coolant Bypass/ TB Air Foil
/ Smog Delete / Cold Start Delete
/ EGR Delete / A.I.R. Delete / Sub Frame Connectors
/ Poly Bushings/ Wonder Bar
1988TAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #2
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Re: Speakers

Well in my car, I have Pioneer 4 way 6x9s in the sail panels, and 3 way 4x6s in the dash. I recommend putting 6x9s in the sails because you will never ever ever have even remotely good sounding bass from the tiny speakers and subs that you could put in there. With the 6x9s amped alone they were enough to rattle my mirrors and give off very nice bass. Now I have the 6x9s amped getting 150 watts and a sub woofer getting 300 watts hidden with the amp in my spare tire well, totally out of site. It sounds damn good, better than the Bose system in my grandpas brand new vette by far, amazing highs, mids, and lows, and appears totally stock.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #3
merc3065

I have to disagree with BigBadGTA

The UQ7 speaker boxes out perform by miles the 6x9s.

The reason they outperform is because of the sub boxes that are present are much better at giving that punch from a sub woofer.

I've had both systems and both had aftermarket speakers.

I used infinity 5 1/4" 2 way mid speakers and inifinity 3 way 4x6s in the upper portion that were amped in series at 54W (24W RMS) from the deck. Without the 10" sub it was able to punch pretty well because of the ported box.

The Fiero's have the same 5" speaker setup for the UQ7 box

It all depends on the quality of the speaker and the amount of power it can handle and the amount of power you are putting to it.

I also had Sony Xplod 3 way 6x9s in the sail panels and the UQ7 setup I had out performed it in clarity and low end punch. If you went to a better speaker setup than the bargain one I had it would probably be able to sound even better.
Old 04-17-2010   #4
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I have never heard the UQ7 set up, but merc always knows his stuff so that box must be pretty good. When you had your 6x9 set up did you have them amped? 54 watts from the head unit is not enough to get real bass power a from a 6x9. I know my 4 way 6x9s are rated at 440 watts peak power, and my 4x6s are rated at 150. It is a night and day difference having them amped, people swore I had a subwoofer in the back before I did. Being that the OP already has the UQ7 set up, hes most likely going to want to stick with that anyways so I will shut up about the 6x9s lol

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #5
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988TAGTA View Post
Greetings everone, I would like to get you opinion on what i should use to replace my speakers for the Front Dash , and the UQ7 Speaker setup.

Sombody told me once the fiero had some, but what do they have and will they fit?

Any Ideas?
The Fiero Store used to sell replacements for the UQ7 subwoofers but they no longer have them on their website.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

The UQ7 setup was very good for its day. In fact, that is the reason that I held out so long on buying my GTA in '88: I specifically wanted that system. Hardly any of the cars that I found had the option. Now, in retrospect.... that may not have been the wisest move with the lack of subwoofer speaker replacements available now and all.

I've thought about just putting a regular 5 1/4 speaker in there but did not know if it would function or not.

I first heard it in a base 1986 Firebird that a college friend had; he had the base cassette system and the UQ7 system too. I thought it sounded great then.

I talked with The Fiero Store recently and was told they no longer carried this replacement speaker.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #7
merc3065

5 1/4" speakers will work in the enclosure IF you get the right ohms to work with the factory amplifier.

If not, forget the factory amplifier which if I recall was only about 10-25 amps at best, it's a tiny little thing. Then get a 5 1/4", get some cross overs, then wire it in parallel with your 4x6s. Then the 5 1/4" will work pretty good but you need a specific speaker to fulfill the low-mid role. it will take some work to find something that does that.
Old 04-22-2010   #8
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
5 1/4" speakers will work in the enclosure IF you get the right ohms to work with the factory amplifier.

If not, forget the factory amplifier which if I recall was only about 10-25 amps at best, it's a tiny little thing. Then get a 5 1/4", get some cross overs, then wire it in parallel with your 4x6s. Then the 5 1/4" will work pretty good but you need a specific speaker to fulfill the low-mid role. it will take some work to find something that does that.
Isn't the little factory amp 4 ohms? I found some 5 1/4 subs online, but I'm fairly certain they won't fit the mounting dimensions.

Your second paragraph is beyond my level of comprehension completely. LOL

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #9
merc3065

hah

4 ohms, but heres what's weird. The 4x6's are 10 ohms from the UQ7 setup.

Honestly, if you want better sound, use the UQ7s, and go aftermarket for the speakers. The 5 1/4"s will not "fit" right into the opening (its only 5"). Use dynamat to fill in the air space between the box and the speaker basket.