Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010   #21
Y84
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 79



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Just joined

The U52 digital dash was an available option on the GTA for the 1987 and 1988 model year. Technically, Frankie's RPO Figures show there was 3 - GTAs equipped with the U52 digital dash in 1989 but no documentation supports it was something that could be ordered on a 1989 GTA. This means it could have been a carryover from 1988.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
If you want the digital dash, that will limit you to 88 and 89. If you want t-tops, that will also play into it. T-tops were only available with the 305 in 1988. The digital dash in my GTA actually functions perfectly. The more you mess with the wiring in the rest of the car, the more you risk messing up the digital dash. The odometer was messed up at first, but once we put the wiring right in the rest of the car, it worked perfectly.

And please do not discount the 305. The 305 Automatic actually has 295 ft-lb of torque. Horsepower isn't as good, but the torque on a 305 is nothing to sneeze at. I have a '95 V6 and it outruns that just fine.
Y84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #22
GTA50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chilliwack, B.C.
Posts: 653


Re: Just joined

Everybody sneezes at the 305. But if you also got the T5 tranny, you were only slightly behind the 350 in hp due to the more aggressive cam in the 305 and that the TPI system was designed around the 305. Also, in some cases (i.e. read the road tests), the 305/MM5 combo actually did better at overtaking as you could outshift the 350/auto on overtaking).

Losses through the drivetrain (with the automatic being slightly less efficient than the standard) put the actual hp ratings at the rear wheel between the 305 and 350 as essentially the same. The difference is in the torque ratings.

But...........from my perspective,.........summer day, driving with my best girl (my wife of course), open, winding road, T-roof off, digital dash, 5-speed.....GTA - the 305-350 doesn't mean a hill of beans!!!!! I'm rockin' and lovin' it

The 305 vs 350 debate should be left to Thirdgen.org. I love my GTAs and I don't feel I should have to apologize for having 305s. At the end of the day, if hp and torque were all that was important, I could take the 454 from my 1980 GMC 3/4 ton and plunk that into a GTA and say ...... By the way, surprised many a young kid in a hot car that thought he could take my truck - and I was pulling a trailer at the time!!!!!!
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #23
JML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12


Re: Just joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post
summer day, driving with my best girl (my wife of course), open, winding road, T-roof off, digital dash, 5-speed.....GTA - the 305-350 doesn't mean a hill of beans!!!!! I'm rockin' and lovin' it



Open, winding road...the T-roof off...5-speed...girl by my side...ahhh...I would love it too man. Well, some very good points- I shouldn't of been quick to judge the 305- after all I've found out so far, I'm actually beginning to like this engine a lot now.

Yes, I want a T-top really badly- but it seems my choice now is quite narrow- I'm guessing my chances of finding either an 88 or 89 with a 305, 5-speed, digital dash (or normal dash will do just fine) black, with a T-top, will be quite low.

Last edited by JML; 01-09-2010 at 01:43 AM.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #24
ThunderChicken
Hoarder
 
ThunderChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fall Branch, TN
Posts: 936


Re: Just joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
Open, winding road...the T-roof off...5-speed...girl by my side...ahhh...I would love it too man. Well, some very good points- I shouldn't of been quick to judge the 305- after all I've found out so far, I'm actually beginning to like this engine a lot now.

Yes, I want a T-top really badly- but it seems my choice now is quite narrow- I'm guessing my chances of finding either an 88 or 89 with a 305, 5-speed, digital dash (or normal dash will do just fine) black, with a T-top, will be quite low.
Good for you for realizing the 305 isn't as "weak" as everyone says. I absolutely love it... In a race, yes, I'd probably lose to a few things, but if you just want a nice car for cruising and occasional fun, the 305 is plenty. Even the guys at the trans shop said my GTA is plenty stout for a 305.

As for lowering, be careful that you don't lower it too much. I had a 1983 TA with 15 inch rims at stock height and I scraped ALL the time. It got really annoying after a while. And that's only an inch and a half or so lower than the GTA.
__________________
Bethany--1988 GTA Trans Am--Flame Red Metallic 305, 1995 V6 Bird, 2001 V6 Bird, 1998 NBM T/A


Click here for Firebird Fest of the Carolinas Information!!
ThunderChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #25
JML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12


Re: Just joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
As for lowering, be careful that you don't lower it too much. I had a 1983 TA with 15 inch rims at stock height and I scraped ALL the time. It got really annoying after a while. And that's only an inch and a half or so lower than the GTA.
Oh lol, I'm srry I worded the last part all wrong- I meant my chances of finding an 88 or 89 GTA with those specs will be low- as in rare and hard to find- No, I don't think I'll mess around with the suspension, I think it looks good as it is

And I totally agree, my main intentions is to cruise, to enjoy the GTA's beauty and scream of the 80s, and to be able to drive standard a bit better. Extra mods like horsepower adders will come in time- no real urgency- I just need the car first :P

Last edited by JML; 01-09-2010 at 04:46 PM.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #26
Rodimus_Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 277


Re: Just joined

305/350 they are both excellent cruisers. If you go to the drag strip you will be frustrated but how often do you really floor it anyway. I drive my TTA like an old man, it has so much torque I rarely even go into boost. The TPI cars make great torque also, I'd be happy with either one, t-tops is a bonus.

Best of all these next few years will be the best time to scoop up these cars, do your research, find the combo you want, sit back be patient these things are for sale ALL the time the one you want will come up. Took me months to find the right TTA, had 4-5 deals fall through until one stuck but it ended up being the best situation.
__________________

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq

Last edited by Rodimus_Prime; 01-11-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #27
GTA50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chilliwack, B.C.
Posts: 653


Re: Just joined

The only thing I will say in disfavour of the 305 is that if you want to mod it, then go with the 350 as you get more "bang-for-your-buck", but also be prepared to tune the ECM as well.

But as for staying stock - as I said earlier, 305/standard; 350/auto - not a lot of difference. And if I was to mod a 350 and go the way that Patrick did or to go with a bigger block or the 383, then the T56 is the only way.

Man, I gotta' row through the gears to be happy.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #28
JML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12


Re: Just joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime View Post
I drive my TTA like an old man, it has so much torque I rarely even go into boost. The TPI cars make great torque also, I'd be happy with either one, t-tops is a bonus.

Best of all these next few years will be the best time to scoop up these cars, do your research, find the combo you want, sit back be patient these things are for sale ALL the time the one you want will come up. Took me months to find the right TTA, had 4-5 deals fall through until one stuck but it ended up being the best situation.
I think that is amazing that you have a TTA...is the engine in that a turbocharged 3800? I'm asking because I got the n/a 3800 Series II in my Impala. I have a TTA exactly like yours- only in 1:18th scale :P

Yes, I agree, it's worth the patience. Actually my desired options are already picked out. 88-89, black, 305, 5-speed manual, T-top, and digital dash.

But now comes the hard part: to get the money lol...
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #29
Rodimus_Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 277


Re: Just joined

the 3.8 was made by buick way back in the 70s they began turboing it back in the 80s at first with a carbed setup then in 86 they moved to the fuel injected setup. The 3800 series I was the engine that followed the turbo engine when it was discontinued.

For what your looking for you can prob find a good one for 6-7 maybe less, I think its alot of car for that price
__________________

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #30
JML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12


Re: Just joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime View Post
For what your looking for you can prob find a good one for 6-7 maybe less, I think its alot of car for that price
Indeed it is. The more I think about this car, the more it keeps me awake at night- thing is I`m in Toronto, I dunno how the availability goes for the GTAs in Canada, let alone one with all my desired options. Do you think it will be a huge difference in price...
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #31
GTA50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chilliwack, B.C.
Posts: 653


Re: Just joined

It depends on what you are looking for in terms of specfic year, engine size, transmission, interior, T-roof, condition, mileage, etc.

For Canadian cars, of course the numbers are much lower in terms of a pool to draw from. If you are considering looking in the US as well, then there is much more to choose from. Also, larger urban areas will have more cars available.

Finally, how much time are you willing to spend on the search and what is your budget?
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #32
JML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12


Re: Just joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post
It depends on what you are looking for in terms of specfic year, engine size, transmission, interior, T-roof, condition, mileage, etc.

For Canadian cars, of course the numbers are much lower in terms of a pool to draw from. If you are considering looking in the US as well, then there is much more to choose from. Also, larger urban areas will have more cars available.

Finally, how much time are you willing to spend on the search and what is your budget?
Unfortunately, there's no urgency, seeing that I am currently fairly broke- I guess the good side to that is that I have a lot more time to find out more about this car. But, seeing that I am aiming for saving up, I'm thinking 5-6K. If it's necessary to save up at least like, 10K let's say, in a year- then I guess it's really worth the long wait.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #33
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector
 
mr.turbota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: sunny Kingman, Arizona
Posts: 893


Re: Just joined

So,
You have a TTA?
In 1/18th scale.
What is the number printed on the bottom of it?
Us TTA 1/1 scale owners are looking for their car number.

I think in your case, looking for a car with a certain engine/tranny combo, will in the end, be limited to your money in hand.
If money is no problem, then get yourself a TTA.
Fast right out of the box.
Besides the TTAs, GTAs got more power near the end of the production, as each year, horsepower went up.
I think either way you go, in getting your GTA, no matter what engine/tranny combo you get, you will be the happiest person in the world (as we were when we got our cars).

Good luck,

George
__________________
George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
mr.turbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Recently Joined the Site and Bought a Black 1990 GTA! Josh GTA NON-TECH 20 07-30-2007 07:18 PM
Member notes Stephen GTA NON-TECH 18 02-01-2007 08:05 PM
I Finally joined the GTA club! irritated_cube GTA MISC 11 11-07-2005 07:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.