Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-06-2007   #1
gtaanyone?

NEW PROBLEM.. argghh

So I was driving home from work today, in stop and go traffic. The car was idling quite a lot for about an hour or so, and it got a little warmer then normal (100 C, 210 F). I then noticed a wierd wirring sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The sound got progressively louder and then the car sputtered and quit. Re-started the car and kept on driving, then the sound started again and got louder until it started to die, but I pedaled the gas and kept the car going. The car was reacting really wierd, after getting the revs up to about 2000, they stayed there for like 5 seconds after i let off the throttle. Then everything would return to normal for a minute or so, and the wirring would start again, and the whole prosess all over again. As well, the car wouldnt accelerate much until you gave it about half throttle, then it would get up and go. Once out of the stop and go traffic and going on the highway temp dropped back down a bit and everything returned to normal. Once i got home let the car idle for a few minutes, and the problem returned again. Wierd hey? I can't think of what could be causing this, besided maybe the fuel pump, but that was replaced about 1000 km's ago? cars an 89 gta
gtaanyone? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #2
GTA50

Re: NEW PROBLEM.. argghh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaanyone?
So I was driving home from work today, in stop and go traffic. The car was idling quite a lot for about an hour or so, and it got a little warmer then normal (100 C, 210 F). I then noticed a wierd wirring sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The sound got progressively louder and then the car sputtered and quit. Re-started the car and kept on driving, then the sound started again and got louder until it started to die, but I pedaled the gas and kept the car going. The car was reacting really wierd, after getting the revs up to about 2000, they stayed there for like 5 seconds after i let off the throttle. Then everything would return to normal for a minute or so, and the wirring would start again, and the whole prosess all over again. As well, the car wouldnt accelerate much until you gave it about half throttle, then it would get up and go. Once out of the stop and go traffic and going on the highway temp dropped back down a bit and everything returned to normal. Once i got home let the car idle for a few minutes, and the problem returned again. Wierd hey? I can't think of what could be causing this, besided maybe the fuel pump, but that was replaced about 1000 km's ago? cars an 89 gta

Okay, may sound stupid, but did you change the fuel filter? Also, what shape is the relay in?

Hope you sort it out.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #3
kuulkatdadieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50
Okay, may sound stupid, but did you change the fuel filter? Also, what shape is the relay in?

Hope you sort it out.

Gary.
Kind of what I was thinking. If the fuel pump isn't broke, then it has to be what controls the pump i.e. relay, maybe filter. IDK

Mine has done that a couple of times. Like not starting and such. But, it just went away and hasn't done it in months.(knock on wood)
kuulkatdadieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #4
gtaanyone?

changed the filter at the same time as the pump, and the relay is also new.. so? Was really a strange noise, at first i thought it was the rear end howling but then the car started running strange so couldnt be that. any other guesses?
Old 11-06-2007   #5
GTA50

Okay, so if the back end of the fuel supply is okay, what is your pressure to the fuel rails (i.e. Shraeder valve)?

Gary.
Old 11-06-2007   #6
kuulkatdadieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50
Okay, so if the back end of the fuel supply is okay, what is your pressure to the fuel rails (i.e. Shraeder valve)?

Gary.
Injectors, maybe.
kuulkatdadieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #7
merc3065

whirring from the back end of the car indicates a mechanical something making the whirring noise.

The only things mechanical back there that would affect driveability are your fuel pump, and fuel pump relay.

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Check the resistances on WARM fuel injectors.
And finally, check the voltage at the fuel pump.

I would lean towards where you started hearing the sound. Whirring sounds like it would be a fuel pump.
Old 11-07-2007   #8
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

yea sounds to me u just happen to have a bad fule pump. u have my luck sounds like!!
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #9
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

what kind of fuel pump was put in as a replacement? just some part store replacement? or a good pump? sounds like the pump to me. nothing else in the back of the car that could make a noise like that, and change the way the motor runs.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #10
Red91GTA
Jay

Hows your fuel pressure regulator? If its not keeping your fuel at a constant psi then you may need a new one.
Old 11-09-2007   #11
gtaanyone?

Ya, i thought it could be my fuel pressure regulator perhaps. But still It's gotta be the fuel pump screwing up I guess, what a ----- of a job to do AGAIN gahhh.
The pump was just an off the shelf replacement, so I guess you get what you pay for. Ill check all other systems out first, and hopefully not an expensive fix.
Anybody else have the problem of everytime they go to fix something they notice something else wrong? I deffinately do
Old 11-09-2007   #12
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaanyone?
Ya, i thought it could be my fuel pressure regulator perhaps. But still It's gotta be the fuel pump screwing up I guess, what a ----- of a job to do AGAIN gahhh.
The pump was just an off the shelf replacement, so I guess you get what you pay for. Ill check all other systems out first, and hopefully not an expensive fix.
Anybody else have the problem of everytime they go to fix something they notice something else wrong? I deffinately do
NOooooooo, what could you ever be talking about. hehe
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #13
1988notchback

i have the exact same problem with my fuel pump same issues with the noise and the traffic when it gets hot etc..
i already changed the pump twice with an edelbrock one and it brakes againg and againg and i only drive my car like twice a month what can be causing the pump to keep breaking ? can it be the harness connection how do i check the pump voltage.
also when i replaced the first fuel pump i had to replace the fuse because it was all melted down but now it does not get that hot any more.
1988notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #14
last one

1988notchback;

What was the final prognosis with your fuel pump issues? I'm currently experiencing the exact same thing with noise coming from the back. I've replace my fuel pump numerous times, EGR, fuel filter, FP regulator and after about 5 or 6 months the noise re-appears.

Thanks... Jeff
last one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #15
TexasRaider
Loyal Reagan Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by last one
1988notchback;

What was the final prognosis with your fuel pump issues? I'm currently experiencing the exact same thing with noise coming from the back. I've replace my fuel pump numerous times, EGR, fuel filter, FP regulator and after about 5 or 6 months the noise re-appears.

Thanks... Jeff

I had a 1990 Formula that had the headlight motors that suddenly started going nuts and a 1995 Grand Prix that suddenly started running rough and then simply quit.
I even had a 1984 Fiero that cut out and died on the highway at 70mph.

In all cases, the cause was that the wiring that went to different components (starter, ignition module, headlamp motor module) had small spots of the insulation wear off due to all the years of road vibration.
The wires had rubbed bare spots in each other or they had rubbed on the body and ended up with the same type of bare spots.

This bare wire-to-wire contact or bare wire-to-body metal caused short outs, hot wires and malfunctions.
Once I replaced the wiring in the trouble spots, no problems.

I'd track down the wires from the fuel pump as far as you can go and look closely at the insulation.
There may be a very small break in the rubber that is letting two bare wires touch each other or the body.

These cars were all near 20 years old or older (like '87-'92 GTA's) and rough riding sports cars create a lot of harsh road vibration, and it only gets worse the older they get.
That's the only way I can explain how the same thing happened to me on 3 different type cars that were all older, but were all sports cars that rode fairly stiff.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Old 12-11-2008   #16
mikedog

It might be a good idea to go with a genuine A/C Delco fuel pump instead of the aftermarket brand pump. I've replaced two fuel pumps, one in a 91 Z28 and the other in a '84 CFI Vette, and I've never had any problems with them after installing them. And I'm talking years later.

Do you run the tank below 1/4 tank a lot? If so, that can help kill a fuel pump.
mikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #17
last one

Mikedog,

Thanks for your response. I last fuel pump is from A/C Delco and it seems to be working better than the others, but when I'm in stop and go traffic, or just sitting at idle for extended periods of time the Fuel Pump begins to whine, and that's not right. I've read on here that replacing the oil pressure sending unit will fix the problem. Personally, I think it's caused by too much pressure in the tank itself.
Old 12-12-2008   #18
last one

TexasRaider;

Thanks for the info. I'll check the wiring as well...
Old 06-04-2009   #19
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Cut the tail off

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuanfenya
Bert took his Saint Bernard to the vet.

"Doctor," he said sadly, "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to cut off my dog's tail."

The vet stepped back, "Bert, why should I do such a terrible thing?"

"Because my mother-in-law's arriving tomorrow, and I don't want anything to make her think she's welcome."

Great men are rarely isolated mountainpeaks; they are the summits of ranges.(T.W.Higginson)
More Games,joke,
wow gold and famous. Click http://www.toppowerlevel.net You will get more.

SPAMMER!!!!

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #20
GTA50

I agree Cliff...really is frustrating (to the spammer in person, if I had my wish).