Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007   #1
1988TAGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Repoduction RPO stickers

I know many people have asked about Repo RPO stickers and the Door ones ect. Any body get any leads on this?

I found this guy who does them for Turbo Buicks. Ive sent him an email asking him if he would do it for us too. Perhaps you can shoot him an email also, if he gets enuff ppl intrested he might be willing to do it.

WARNING .. Turn ON popup blocker its on of those annoying Free Web servers that smack you with popups!

Turbo Buck RPO stickers Repo

SOLD JUNE 23 2012
5.7 GM Crate
Ford Racing 24# Injectors

/ Custom Chip / Headers
/ TB Coolant Bypass/ TB Air Foil
/ Smog Delete / Cold Start Delete
/ EGR Delete / A.I.R. Delete / Sub Frame Connectors
/ Poly Bushings/ Wonder Bar
Old 08-17-2007   #2
Klortho

Re: Repoduction RPO stickers

I emailed him a while back for the door stickers, and he responded saying all he needed was some clear pictures or scans of the originals and would be able to fix me right up, really nice guy to talk to.
Old 08-17-2007   #3
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Engine: Custom

This is definately something to look into.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
Old 08-18-2007   #4
merc3065

damn, thats exactly what I want for stickers and all!
I'll have to get in touch with this guy...
Old 08-19-2007   #5
strc09

Those do look really cool.

Old 08-20-2007   #6
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Nice, but.....so good that perhaps GM will not like that. Now it seems that the only way to tell a real GTA would be if GM recorded vin numbers of cars that were built as GTAs. Yumiko
Old 08-20-2007   #7
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Sorry, I've been gone a bit.... just getting back into the swing of things after ElvisWeek2007....

Yumiko has a point.... I mean I'd love to have a new set for Hector, but where do you draw the line at repro'ing this stuff?

You couldn't just make some of these and take somebody's word that their car is a GTA. Just take a look at eBay each and every day. It seems that some kind of documentation would have to be presented beforehand. Either a build sheet or an old SPI label to go from with a VIN that matches the car in question. It would take one of these pieces anyway to have all the RPOs to put on the new list. But honesty would have to be the order of the day.

She's right, though.... GM might frown a bit at this.

Old 08-29-2007   #8
strc09

I agree with Frankie and Yumiko about documentation being a must. I'd like to get some repro stickers that go in the door jams along with the stickers that go on the underside of the hood and some VIN stickers. When the car gets repainted they'll get even more messed up so it'd be nice to replace them with fresh ones. I'd look at it as part of the resto process.

Old 08-29-2007   #9
merc3065

Does GM offer replacement stickers when you get new doors? Or when they are repainted after being damaged?
Old 08-29-2007   #10
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

No, GM does not offer these stickers for resale.... even though most of them actually have a GM part number printed on them.

My wife's '07 Vibe has the SPI on the glovebox door and it's grey in color and has some kind of a coating on it. Hard to see the info on it....

I took the original label loose as it was starting to peel and fade a bit. So I keep it in the owners' manual now for protection. I did the same thing to the Big Red Car as well; even though its label is pristine, it was starting to come loose around the edges.

Old 09-02-2007   #11
PhillyTurboSix
cRaCk wH0rE

FYI: Keep in mind it is a federal law to reproduce anything with a VIN number on it in the states. This is not local law but federal stuff. Pretty sure you can go to jail by just putting them on your car as well! I would be very careful putting anything on your car with a VIN number on it that did not come from GM. You sell the car and the new owner finds out they are aftermarket stickers or fakes then what happens when they go to the police! Like you guys said it's nice to have an outlet for this type of service but it's illegal in so many ways. I'm suprised this guy is'nt locked up by now. I know he's a older guy so I guess he don't care. Anyone with a site with all that spam and pop up's I would not trust as it is. I would be very careful. This is one of those things that can come back and bite you in the a$$ many years later!

86 Buick Grand National CF5 car. Sexy Stocker
87 Buick Grand National CC1 car. All the go fast mods and some chrome.
89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #396 CC1 Leather. Stock 30K on it. Featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines Feb. 2006

NEW pictures here! CLICK HERE!

Everything you wanted to know about the 1989 20th Anniversary TTA right here.. http://89tta.turbobuicks.net/
Old 09-03-2007   #12
TTA850

I've been told that the "legality" issure arises is when someone tries to make thier car into something else that it was not originally. I belive its called misrepresentation.

If I'm wrong Jim please clarify the federal law about it because I've spoken to people from my job with the NYPD and friends in other departments, both local and federal, without a definative answer.

Thanks,
Steve

1989 GTA - 10.5 second TTA spec 3.8L - Featured in GMHTP May '07 "Red Draggin"
1989 TTA #884 - 1 of 15 cloth/hardtop

Last edited by TTA850; 09-03-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2007   #13
PhillyTurboSix
cRaCk wH0rE

GM alone will put you in jail for making any reproduction sticker of theirs esp. with a vin on it. The vin is the holy grail. It's placed on the car by someone at the factory for a reason. That is also why they don't offer reproductions of them. It's almost the same as making counterfit money. It's illegal.

89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #396 CC1 Leather. Stock 30K on it. Featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines Feb. 2006

Everything you wanted to know about the 1989 20th Anniversary TTA right here.. http://89tta.turbobuicks.net/
Old 09-05-2007   #14
PhillyTurboSix
cRaCk wH0rE

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade just saving you a few thousand in legal fee's for the day when it comes back to bite you in the a$$ for using any repo stickers with a VIN on it. I looked into it and everyone I talked to said no. Just call someone at GM and tell them what you want to do and see what they say

Now you know why guys pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for an old classic car that is a shell rotted to the ground. All that want is that vin number! Plus the older cars didn't use stickers with the vin's on them. It was all plates. I think there is a way to have a plate punched vin done legally. But what this guy is doing is wrong is so many ways.

Old 09-06-2007   #15
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

Dont worry I will be gettin some after I get another job. 'cause I will be goin to the grave with my car,lol.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
Old 09-06-2007   #16
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

ADMIN NOTE: THE TRANS AM GTA SOURCE PAGE DOES NOT ENDORSE THE PURCHASE OR USAGE OF ANY PRODUCT(S) DESCRIBED IN THIS THREAD.

I just can't take a chance on somebody affiliated with GM seeing this and accusing me of endorsing something of this nature with this website. That would be the end of everything here for ALL of us.

I agree that these need to be available from some source for owners wanting to obtain new stickers, but I believe GM will have to be involved at some point for this to be done legally and properly.

Feel free to speak to folks directly about this via email, but please don't use the forums to communicate with people interested in trying to have some of these stickers reproduced for their cars. Those of you who might be interested in having some stickers made for your car, please extend the same courtesy to the board. Don't discuss it here....

Closed Thread