Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-03-2007   #41
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: "Super Rare 1 of 600"/Production #s

I don't even bother trying to figure out the check digit. I was never really that great at math and it makes my head hurt thinking about it. You know...having the information that Frankie has gathered for the GTA is very helpful. I just wish that the Formula Source had the same information. If it does...we haven't found it yet.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #42
HARRYS91GTASLP
Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klortho
That made my head hurt
LOL

1991 Trans Am GTA SLP High-Flow Intake Runners, Shift Kit, Headers, G & S Custom Dual-Cat Exhaust, Air Induction, Tokico Suspension System, Performance Chip
HARRYS91GTASLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #43
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
V73 is the code for the US/Canadian Vehicle Statement. The fixed antenna would have a "U" code instead of a "V". U73, perhaps?
It is a V for sure, this code is between VK3 and WS4. Perhaps this GTA that I got this sticker from was originally from Canada. And also there was not a U73 code on this sticker. Yumiko
Old 04-03-2007   #44
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strc09
I don't even bother trying to figure out the check digit. I was never really that great at math and it makes my head hurt thinking about it. You know...having the information that Frankie has gathered for the GTA is very helpful. I just wish that the Formula Source had the same information. If it does...we haven't found it yet.
I cheated, and made an Excel speadsheet for the Check Digit check. A web person needs to write something to do that online, like we do fo the VIN # check. That'd be cool.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #45
HARRYS91GTASLP
Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I cheated, and made an Excel speadsheet for the Check Digit check. A web person needs to write something to do that online, like we do fo the VIN # check. That'd be cool.
Hey, if anyone would like one, I have a neat VIN Decoder program I can email. The result comes out like this:

Made in: United States
Manufacturer: General Motors
Model Year: 1991
Make: Pontiac
Carline Series: Trans Am
Engine Code: 350 CI V8 B2L/L98
Restraint System: Manual Belts (Driver Inflatable)
Assembly Plant: Van Nuys
Production Sequence: XXXXXX
Carline Code: F-body
Body Type: 2 Door Coupe
Check Digit is Valid

Email me, and I'll shoot it out to ya.

1991 Trans Am GTA SLP High-Flow Intake Runners, Shift Kit, Headers, G & S Custom Dual-Cat Exhaust, Air Induction, Tokico Suspension System, Performance Chip
Old 04-03-2007   #46
HARRYS91GTASLP
Atlanta

By the way, here's the Decoder output on that eBay Firebird.

VIN:1G2FW21F6HN228434

Model Year: 1987
Engine Code: 305 CI V8 LB9
Restraint System: Manual Belts
Assembly Plant: Norwood
Production Sequence: 228434
Check Digit is Valid

Old 04-03-2007   #47
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Decoding this information is pretty neat. I have an idea, since this is not my own GTAs vin, the sticker that I got from the one at the wrecking yard was vin number:

1G2FW21F3HL

That is just the first 11 digits of the vin number. I know that the eighth digit is the engine size so it is a 5.0 liter engine. But what else is the information about this car from the vin number? Yumiko
Old 04-03-2007   #48
HARRYS91GTASLP
Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
Decoding this information is pretty neat. I have an idea, since this is not my own GTAs vin, the sticker that I got from the one at the wrecking yard was vin number:

1G2FW21F3HL

That is just the first 11 digits of the vin number. I know that the eighth digit is the engine size so it is a 5.0 liter engine. But what else is the information about this car from the vin number? Yumiko
VIN:1G2FW21F3HL123456

Model Year: 1987
Engine Code: 305 CI V8 LB9
Restraint System: Manual Belts
Assembly Plant: Van Nuys
Production Sequence: 123456
Check Digit is Invalid

I added the 123456 to allow the program to run. The Check Digit ( 3 ) showing as 'invalid' is because the 123456 is an invalid number for that particular VIN sequence.

Old 04-04-2007   #49
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Thanks. Yumiko
Old 04-04-2007   #50
Red91GTA
Jay

Why is the hatch so bent? I can see one side closed and the other open.
http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/90/5e/db06_3.JPG
Red91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #51
HARRYS91GTASLP
Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
Well, I just have seen something completely interesting. I have believed that it was standard on all GTAs. But there may be a possibility that they were not standard, or at least not standard after a certain year. To explain, my GTA has the power antenna (U75) and that is documented on my GTAs RPO sticker.

Now for fun I just looked at an RPO sticker that I got from a car at the wrecking yard a few years ago. It was rare that it would be on a car in the wrecking yard. So when I saw it, I took it off and kept it. I am unsure if this GTA was a 1988, 1989, or 1990. However, the GTA option is on the sheet but the U75 is not on there. Unless the option code for the power antenna had changed after 1987, that would be the only other possibility besides the power antenna not being a standard option after a specific year of GTA production. Yumiko
My RPO list shows V73 : ANTENNA, FIXED even though it had a power antenna when I bought it from the previous owner. There is the relay and connector behind the dash as there should be for a power antenna. Perhaps my Y84 : MERCHANDISED PKG, GTA, TRANS AM option upgrades to the power antenna.
IInteresting, Yumiko. Good find!

Old 04-05-2007   #52
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom

Yeah...my wife's Forumla shows the codes for both fixed and power, but the car clearly has a fixed mast antenna. I was kind of curious why a SPID label would show the RPO code for both when the car actually only has the one.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #53
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Well Frankie clarified that: "V73 is the code for the US/Canadian Vehicle Statement. The fixed antenna would have a "U" code instead of a "V".

After reading this post by Frankie I looked at my own GTAs RPO sticker and I also have the code V73 on mine even though I also have the power antenna option code, as I should since my GTA has that option.

I guess that the code listing that I have may have a few errors on it here and there.

But yes, I was sort of happy to find the sticker to sort of research what options that GTA had and stuff. Yumiko