Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-11-2006   #101
george88gta

Re: engine pings

Quote:
Originally Posted by george88gta
Yeah, I was surprised with that comment from them. We worked it out, I explained that I didnt pay a ton of money for a custom chip, so I could ride around looking at my check engine light. Turns out that the engine specs called for a very high initial timing and they did not take that in to consideration when they made the chip. They used the stock 350 timing info. I retarded the spark and all was well. Next chip will have plenty of conversation between me and the burner. Dont want to go thru this again.
Well, it is back together. I replaced exhaust manifold gaskets, EGR valve, intake runner gaskets and installed NGK tr45 plugs. Let it warm up and tried driving around the driveway ( long driveway). I could get it to ping if I held it against the brakes. Let it cool and then I adjusted the fuel pressure to 48 psi. So far no pinging and the main fan stopped working so it got up to about 221 degrees ( reading on scanner), figured I better call it quits for today before I burn it up. After I fix the fan, I will take it for another test drive. Real test will be when I put it back on the road.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #102
george88gta

Quote:
Well, it is back together. I replaced exhaust manifold gaskets, EGR valve, intake runner gaskets and installed NGK tr45 plugs. Let it warm up and tried driving around the driveway ( long driveway). I could get it to ping if I held it against the brakes. Let it cool and then I adjusted the fuel pressure to 48 psi. So far no pinging and the main fan stopped working so it got up to about 221 degrees ( reading on scanner), figured I better call it quits for today before I burn it up. After I fix the fan, I will take it for another test drive. Real test will be when I put it back on the road.
Rule #1 always go back to where you were working. Fan problem was a loose connector. Also, a typo on the plugs, they are UR45 plugs, not TR.
Old 05-07-2006   #103
george88gta

Quote:
Rule #1 always go back to where you were working. Fan problem was a loose connector. Also, a typo on the plugs, they are UR45 plugs, not TR.
Weather has finally warmed up enough and the town has cleaned thesand and salt off the roads so I put the GTA back on the road the other day and it is running well. Initially had a problem with excessive pressure in the tank, but I aded some injector cleaner, filled it with fresh 87 octane Shell and ran it for about an hour. No more excessive pressure when I remove the gas cap and car is running well. There is a difference with the new chip ( set for 87 octane), definetely less punch, but this car is a cruiser so I really dont mind the drop in performance. Most of all, no more annoying pinging and I can save over $0.30 a gallon. If I get bored, I may try adjusting the base timing up from the 6 degrees initial to see if it runs without pinging. But for now, I am not going to mess with success.