Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-07-2006   #1
Black88gta

MAF sensor burn-off relay

My GTA keeps pulling a code 36 and i've replaced the maf sensor, the power relay, and the burn off relay. It will be fine somedays but other times it runs rough and the SES light comes on. I dont know what else to do.
Black88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #2
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

Re: MAF sensor burn-off relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88gta
My GTA keeps pulling a code 36 and i've replaced the maf sensor, the power relay, and the burn off relay. It will be fine somedays but other times it runs rough and the SES light comes on. I dont know what else to do.
I see no one has chimed in, so with my NEW code 36, I'll work with you. :-)

I have gone through the FINE GM manual troubleshooting tree, and get all the way to the bottom, the dreaded 'check for loose connections'....

I have turned my SES light off by burning a new chip with the 'burn off relay' check disabled... BUT THE CODE is still there... I see it on my Datamaster! ARGH!!

It went off for a couple of days right after I unplugged my ECM to reset the code the first time, but its back steady now.

I have been told the oil 'switch' fuel pump backup switch near the oil filter, can be the cause of this, also read that a plugged crankcase vent tube will cause this code.

Evidently ( correct me here if I'm getting bum dope ) but the burn off starts by the ECM seeing no ignition and no oil pressure ( i.e. the engine must be OFF... duh ). So the ECM decides to turn on the burn off relay for a few seconds ??

So what sets the code ? Does the ECM track the burn or track the 'need' to burn signal ?

Drivin' me nuts.

Gerry-

http://www.gmassie.net/l98gta
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #3
vejatabul
http://www.ricekiller.com

mine used to set it off when it rained...but has not since i replaced the maf
Old 04-01-2006   #4
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

check the wiring, check to make sure the hot wire in the maf isn't dirty. even dust on it will cause the car to run poorly sometimes. you can clean it with a q tip just to make sure, but be very gentle.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #5
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsonGTA
check the wiring, check to make sure the hot wire in the maf isn't dirty. even dust on it will cause the car to run poorly sometimes. you can clean it with a q tip just to make sure, but be very gentle.
The wiring checks fine, the car passes the troubleshooting logic tree in the service manual. All voltages are what they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be etc. The t/s tree takes me to the 'check for loose connectors'....

I have pulled apart the maf relay connector, maf burnoff relay connector, maf connecter, cleaned them all with spray contact cleaner. I have swapped relays, rotated a new relay between the MAF and Burnoff relays.

None of the troubleshooting leads me to a cause of the code.

Old 04-02-2006   #6
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Look at all of the connector pins REAL close. I had a friend who's car was the same way and after lots of therapy form mental anguish he finally found the source of his problem it was a connector pin that was bent. He showed me and I had to look real hard to see it.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #7
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

I'm starting to think it may be a bad wire. While putting a heated 02 sensor on yesterday I re-routed some of my wiring down by the battery to make it look a litte more presentable. ( GM made a mess of these cars.... )

Long story short after the surgery the car wouldn't start. Troubleshooting led me to no 12 volts at the fuel pump relay, and then to the 'in line fuse' up by the radiator. That fuse is a direct feed from the battery. NO 12 volts on the fuse. Hmmmm.... found a broken and corroded butt splice in the short little tail wire between the battery post and the fuse. WHO put that butt splice in ??? SHEEZ!!!!

If this is what I'm up against, maybe I just need to go over every wire in every loom.... WAPITA that'll be.

Gerry-