Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-20-2003   #1
1991GTA
GTA owner

Overhead console in 91/92 GTA?

Was an overhead console an option for GTA's in 91/92? My 87 with T-tops had one and I really miss not having one in my 91. I think I remember hearing that from 87-90, the overhead console varied in size depending on if you had T-tops or not.
1991GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

No, the overhead console was not an option on the 1991-1992 GTAs. I have a 1991 GTA hardtop, and I installed one that was made for a hardtop model out of an '87 Trans Am. I like it, it gives me a place to put my sunglasses or my cell phone while driving and the flashlight comes in handy when I blow a fuse or something and need to change it. The install isn't too hard, you have to cut up your headliner and the holes for the mounting posts are already there. You'll just need to wire it in.

Here's a pic of mine:

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003   #3
1991GTA
GTA owner

Fred,
Console looks great. Do you know what the differences are between the hardtop and t-top consoles? I think I'm going to install one.
1991GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003   #4
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Thanks.

The differences between the hardtop and T-top consoles are that the hardtop console has a bend towards the front. If you look at the second pic, you can see that going towards the front, right after the pocket, the console bends downward slightly. This is to clear the metal support on the hardtop cars. The T-top consoles are slightly straighter. Also, the hardtop version mounts in the way that you have to push up and forward whil the T-top console mounts in that you have to push it up and backward.

If you do install one, I recommend you do something to the headliner where the main dome light is to drop it down a little because there will be a slight gap there between the console and the hedliner. What I did was to bang out the headliner just a little so it sit tight with the console. Try looking at online parts stores for the F-body and on Ebay. I'm sure they'll have all you need to get the right one along with all the parts you need to get it running on your car. Good Luck

Old 07-20-2003   #5
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

One other thing...

I believe that the hardtop version requires a cardboard and styrofoam piece that mounts to the front to support the headliner and console. If you get the hardtop one, make sure you get this piece or make one for it. There's an article on www.thirdgen.org about installing one. The piece came with my hardtop console because I got a kit from one of the online thirdgen parts guys.