Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-13-2002   #41
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Iroc-T I just slipped the runners up underneath the fuel rails. I had to slightly loosen the fuel rail to get the runners underneath them...but take off the valve covers? No thanx

I used a wet dry vac to get the corrosion out of the hole. Tomorrow I am going to flush the system and change my oil.
Old 09-14-2002   #42
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

That's awesome rich! Those SLP runners look very at home with your car. Glad to hear you got her up and running. Congrats. Now post some results.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002   #43
Dj92GTA
GTA Member

damn rich... looks good and I bet it feels awesome to have it back on the road... I hope mine starts once I get everything done... now its time to get on that prom... I got my burner going last night... my friend with my old 91Z stoped by... i burned him a chip to disable his topend limiter....we couldnt get the car to run and with a quick check I found out you need to plug the stock mem-cal onto the adapter... my bad after that it fired up, ran good and with a trip to the highway we got it up to about 220km/h (although i condone high speed action, it had to be done lol )

after hearing this I can wait to get my car back together with all the go fast parts oh well.. back to polishing... yippeee
Old 09-15-2002   #44
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well thanks for the compliments guys. I havent had a chance to adjust my TV cable yet. But shifting the car manually is fun too

Dj: what are you working on polishing now??? Post some pics so we can all see.

Fred: I am going to post some results soon(hopefully) but first I have to get some new meats put on the car....wouldnt do much at the track with them bald like they are... I also have to leave for a couple of weeks. So I will not have time to do any of this stuff till at least October. I know you guys are interested...believe me I am too. I just need the $ and the time.
Old 09-15-2002   #45
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well I got the TV cable adjusted, and the cooling problem is also fixed. With the car in OD she runs real good....downshifting is tight and smooth now. I *may* be able to get the car to the track next weekend. Ill keep you updated.
Old 09-15-2002   #46
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

rich, you have inspired me more than you know here. i am going to be picking up a spare intake manifold from a junkyard and start porting it the way you have. That way, I'll always have my old one to fall bck on. Sounds like this will make a great mod.

Fred

Old 09-15-2002   #47
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

For the price of a used stock intake manifold I would recommend this mod to everyone. You will not be sorry Fred.....unless you have the same problems with SLP that I did

I do have to admit however, that this mod was a real PITA. But if you have an extra manifold, by all means! I just wish I could get a new cam...........
Old 09-16-2002   #48
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well, i'm now officially searching for a good stock manifold that can be used on my '91 L98. I'm hoping to find somebody out there who bought an Accel or other aftermarket manifold and has no more use for their stock manifold. Then I'll clean it up and give her a go. Can't go wrong when you have a stock extra, right? There was a really nice one on Ebay, all cleaned and would've fit my car perfectly, and was at $46 when I started bidding. However, some schmuck was willing to pay a whole lot more and kept outbidding me, so I raised up the price for him to about $90... :finger: I hope he likes his "new" overpriced used stock manifold now... Yeah it's mean, but I have a sick sense of humor sometimes.

As for preventing those maggots from appearing again, I suggest going to the grocery store and buying distilled water to mix with your Anti-Freeze instead of regular CA tap water. That's what's been done to my car since new, and I didn't have that problem either time I took off my TPI. It'll prevent corrosion and will prolong your block/manifold life.

Fred

Old 09-21-2002   #49
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Fred,
I would check out the bone yards to get a used manifold. They cant be that hard to find. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2002   #50
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

They have one decent boneyard here in NYC, and it's in Queens. They have ZERO F-bodies there with TPi parts that I can use. It really sucks. Most of the wrecked cars are '86s, and I need the later '89-'92 style manifolds. Oh well. Gotta keep looking I guess. I'm not putting on the new SLP runners without at least putting them on an optimized base.

Old 09-21-2002   #51
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Thats sound logic.... Have you tried House of Camaro yet? I am sure Tom has many manifolds lying around. He ships anywere also. Check him out his phone # is (800) 460-6789.
Old 09-22-2002   #52
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Rich, you know me by now and how I'm a big torque freak. Did you notice any loss in low end torque? And if so, was it a lot? I'm still gonna do the mod regardless, but if I lose too much low end, I'll already be looking for ways to make it back.

Also, did you siamese your plenum to match the SLP runners?

Fred

Old 09-22-2002   #53
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

I am sure I lost some low end in 1st, I dont know just how much because it is hardly noticable. Most of the power is made back through my 2nd and 3rd gears though. Where the car pulls alot harder now.
As for the plenum, I just ported it out a little. I wanted to leave the runner holes seperate for now. I did port them a little though, and made a knife-like edge on them. I will be porting them completly when I get a new cam though.
Old 09-27-2002   #54
GTA91
Official Cop Magnet

re: Hey Fred!

Hey, I've been reading this post. I've got a ported/polished/siamesed base on my L98 I just put in my car. I had bought an extra base and siamesed it while the 305 was still in my car. Much easier having an extra motor, intake, etc sitting there waiting on the stand. Well enough of that... I have my original '91 base sitting here. Just gathering dust. Want it? Make me an offer. Or shoot me an email. Thats it, later!

*Oh yeah, I want to see some track times Rich! I'm still waiting on mine
LT4 HOTCAM, 1.6 Comp roller rockers, TPIS ZZ9 springs, ported/polished L98 iron heads, siamesed lower intake, ported/polished plenum, Longtube Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3" dumps/custom 3" y-pipe, Accel coil, Taylor 8mm's, MSD6A, 160*stat, Walbro pump, LT1 24# injectors, K&N, TPIS air foil, Lakewood LCA's & APHR, SSM SFC's, Hotchkis STB, Hurst w/ Lou's short stick, !CAT, !AIR, !TB, !EGR, custom tuning in progress.

Future Mods: Nittos or slicks, heads/intake, maybe 4.10's.

*14.6@96mph (305 ET)
*??.?@??mph (350ET)
GTA91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002   #55
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

GTA91, you have mail..

Old 09-28-2002   #56
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey rich, I just got my SLP runners... needless to say, I'm a little disappointed in their quality. The casting is not optimal. On the inside of the stock runners, it's all nice and smooth. On the inside of the SLPs, the inside is extremely rough cast, so i'll have to find a way to smooth it out. Also, the siamesed area of the SLPs is not as large as I had originally expected. I'll have to do additional porting to the runners in order to oepn them up. Beyond the siamese, they are basically the same size as the stock runners. I'm thinking that I'll siamese and port match them to a set of TPIS Big Mouth gaskets.

Damn, i just realized... i have to polish these things now too!!!

Old 09-28-2002   #57
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

I knew you would be disappointed. I couldnt believe the poor quality and craftmenship of the SLP runners. I thought they were a better company than that.
Old 09-30-2002   #58
GTA91
Official Cop Magnet

re:

Fred, you have mail

Yeah guys, I'm not happy with what my friends have thought of the SLP runners either. Thats one reason I haven't bought any yet. I've had multiple friends who gained absolutely NOTHING with them. Even on built motors, they wouldn't help a friend's low 12 sec car. Now if you do some major porting/siamesing to them they can help quite a bit I believe. I would rather cut up stock runners though and weld some sheetmetal all the way along them to make one big siamesed runner all the way from the plenum to the base. I just found a buddy who can weld the AL up for me too. Know what I mean??? Just cut the inner halfs of the runners out (from flange to flange), and then form sheetmetal all the way down along the runners. This is what my buddy is running on the low13/high12sec vortec TPI car I was talking about. Said it pulls HARD up high. Well, gotta run. Later!

*Anyone have a set of stock runners they want to get rid of???
LT4 HOTCAM, 1.6 Comp roller rockers, TPIS ZZ9 springs, ported/polished L98 iron heads, siamesed lower intake, ported/polished plenum, Longtube Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3" dumps/custom 3" y-pipe, Accel coil, Taylor 8mm's, MSD6A, 160*stat, Walbro pump, LT1 24# injectors, K&N, TPIS air foil, Lakewood LCA's & APHR, SSM SFC's, Hotchkis STB, Hurst w/ Lou's short stick, !CAT, !AIR, !TB, !EGR, custom tuning in progress.

Future Mods: Nittos or slicks, heads/intake, maybe 4.10's.

*14.6@96mph (305 ET)
*??.?@??mph (350ET)
GTA91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002   #59
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey rich, when you got the SLP runners, did you do any prep work to them at all? I'm looking at mine and it looks like I'll have to somehow sand the inside the inside since SLP used a rough cast on the inside as well as the outside. Also, did you cut your plenum to match the siamese of the runners? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2002   #60
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

I just opened up the ports a little so that they matched my plenum and base. I really didnt have time to mess around with it. I had to drive the car to work the next day.