Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-21-2002   #41
mGiTkAe
GTA Member

pgh...thanks sounds good..... look forward to meeting you....just give me a holler
mGiTkAe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002   #42
Hammerton
GM Enthusiast

OMG!

I just wanted everyone to know!

My Acura TL Type S has a sunroof built by ASC it must not be authorized. As a matter of fact all Honda Accords and Acura TL's have ASC Sunroofs but there is not a VIN identification or a code for the TL's. I am soooo dissappointed.

Everyone with a Toyota Solara or Paseo Convertible, be advised you have an unauthorized ASC conversion. It doesn't matter that it's covered by Toyota's warranty and has part numbers for parts just like GM. Maybe we can get together for a class action law suite. BTW, it is not identified by it's VIN either.

Bad News, did you here the the SLP Ram Air is produced by ASC, I guess that means our unauthorized Ram Air reduces the value of our vehicles.

Could it be any worse, the new Chevy SSR Pickup was designed by ASC, not even a GM design. How can this be. This must mean that it is nothing more than a kit car and cannot be considered a collector car in the future.

What, you want a convertible, don't buy one from any manufacturer, they are not authorized unless you can prove it despite the fact that almost every manufacturer has claimed they offered a convertible but it was actually cut by ASC. This includes, Toyota, GM, Ford, Honda and most Korean manufacturers.

Why would you pay $5,000 more to buy a convertible that was created by ASC that manufactures have not authorized as part of your order. Just take it to ASC and get a cut job that would void your warranty and it would only cost you $8,000 - $11,000. Hopefully there will be a local ASC shop, if not you can always ship your car to Detroit for warranty repair.

Caviat Emptor,

Hammerton
Hammerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002   #43
91GTA383
GTA Member

Now your just being childish. You cant compare what other manufacturers do because they dont necessarily do it the same way.
You wont find a change in vin codes for sunroofs, SS camaors or Ram Air birds because it didn't change the body-style. The only possible vin difference would be if they still use the S (standard firebird and formula) or W (Trans AM, GTA). The Ram Air and SS cars do use RPO codes to distinguish what they are.
If a car was purchased and converted a couple years later by ASC then that would also have to be considered an authorized GM convertible. Since the ones purchased new have no symbols marking their original status as convertibles the ones converted later would have to be accepted as original. So in other words someone could make their not as rare GTA into a rare convertible GTA. That makes perfect sense to me. By the way, many people have claimed that they have ordered 87-89 L98 GTA convertibles from their dealer.
91GTA383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002   #44
Hammerton
GM Enthusiast

Hey, 383 stroker.

I have a 1966 Mustang Fastback 'K' code, it is the hi-po Mustang the same option that was taken by Shelby and converted to a GT350. That my friend would make it fairly easy for me to make an indistinguishable GT-350 out of my car but it's still a fake. No difference with the pre '91 GTA's. Your logic holds absolutely no water.

I referenced a Chevy SSR not an SS, but I guess your too dense to really read or understand anything. That's fine, I'm a professor at a local college and 1 out of every 15 students think they are smarter than everyone else and the're usually the ones with the lowest IQ. You fit their MO perfectly.

BTW, all Mitsubishi convertibles are also cut by ASC making them unauthorized as well. Thank God we're not all as smart as 91gta383. You would think someone that can stroke his GTA wouldn't be so ignorant... or maybe he's blind and just appears less intelligent from stroking something else.. humm...

Hammerton
Old 06-21-2002   #45
pgh-gta
GTA Member

"evidence"

Well, it has been 2 days and I actually do have some type of evidence. First off, Hammerton, calm down. You have been very informative in your FACTUAL information regarding all makes and their affiliation with ASC. I would like to continue to hear from you so don't get banned by being nutty.

On the other hand this info is for 91GTA383. About the only thing factual you offer in your posts is that the Formula was not eligible to be convertiblized at dealer level. That is correct!!! Do you know why? Because it came standard with the 5.7 350. If this ASC conversion was not GM authorized why would they put these sort of limitations on this option. It is true, anyone could have had this conversion done to their Formula but any GM enthusiast would know it was not "factory" original.

I won't bore you with all the info but I spoke with Terry S. at Courtesy Pontiac and I also spoke with Ann M. at ASC and they both assure me that this was a factory authorized option. I do realize that someone's word is not evidence but you need to realize that GM only stores their records for 7 years so the chances of retrieving an RPO code is pretty remote although I will continue to try. Anyway my evidence is attached to this post. It is a diagram of the rear deck lid from an '87 f-body and the part number 14092646 is the rear deck lid soelnoid. I know what this is becaue I had to replace this a few years ago. Would GM stock a whole list of over 40 parts that are not attached to their vehicles. I think not.

91Gta383, I realize alot of people in these forums talk a whole lot of smack and make themselves out a whole lot better off than they are and you don't know me from Adam so I can expect for you not to take to much of what I say as truth. But at the same time, I feel you are being very closed minded. For you to say this option is not a GM authorized setup even with all of the "circumstancial" evidence that has been offered is a shame. You apparantly relish your GTA and must be an enthusiast because you do have very difinitive opinions but just because a code can't be located at this time doesn't mean it never existed.
pgh-gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002   #46
pgh-gta
GTA Member

had a problem with attachment trying again
pgh-gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002   #47
91GTA383
GTA Member

Hammer, grow up. Ok you referenced an SSR. Same deal, they will be documented properly as a GM vehicle regardless of who the designers were. You obviously cant read either. One, I said in an earlier post that because ASC warrants the work does not mean the car physically has to go to ASC. You immediatley respond that it wouldn't make sense to send the car to detroit for warranty work. Two, You also keep inferring that I said anything from ASC must not be authorized. I dont recall ever saying that there weren't any authorized vehicles from ASC. So you can stop your childish ramblings "this must not be authorized because ASC did it" and giving examples of other makes and models wich isn't even the topic of this discussion. You still keep comparing other manufacturers ASC conversions wich is irrelevant to whether or not the firebird was authorized. On your cloan GT350 example, do you think the clone should be considered as rare and valuable as the original? I also haven't been arguing the rarity or value as much as the authenticity. But apparently you didn't catch that statement either. Explain how having the conversion done later voids the warranty. Since their are no RPO's or VIN identification how would the service department know it was done at a later date.

pgh-gta, The L98 was considered standard on GTA's. The 305 was a credit option. Fact, the L98 was not standard on formulas. The base V8, LG4 or LO3 (depending on year) was the standard engine with the LB9 and L98 being options. There are also people who claim they ordered L98 GTA's and Formulas(305 & 350) from the dealer. If thats true then why would theirs not be authorized and the 305 GTA's be authorized, especially when currently there is no available document to support either. There were also regular TA's converted by ASC as well. There is a picture of one at thirdgen.org in the history boards. Do a search there for convertibles and you will find many discussions over pre 91 firebird conversions as well as pre 87 conversions. I am open to the possibility they are authorized, but as you said, all current evidence is circumstantial. I think its only fair to ask that others keep an open mind to the possibility that they weren't, its a two way street. There are interesting arguments in their favor. The main one being the warranty situation. But again this is inferrence not fact. The only facts pertaining to the firebird conversions that have been given is that they were done by ASC, and that the factory warranty was not voided. It has not been established who warranted the convertible parts. It is very possible that ASC warranted (meaning they paid for repairs) all convertibles done by them whether they were camaros or firebirds.
91GTA383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002   #48
Hammerton
GM Enthusiast

Was it something I missed

Good job pgh_gta, you have found some evidence, although more is needed to be totally convincing. The fact that GM has part numbers and ASC confirms they are authentic. Maybe you can get a letter stating that from ASC. If you get enough documentation you might actually convince the skeptic.

I must apologize for my earlier post, it's just that some people, whether jealous, ignorant, or some other social ineptitude, just bend me the wrong way. It sounds like you are on the right track. I would continue to pursue it and I think you will find the truth. It appears that 91GTA383 is not completly acurate in his information but I am not a GM expert but in the industry I'm in I know anything is possible.

BTW! 91GTA383, why would GM continue to offer parts and have part numbers for a convertible that was not GM authorized?

Hammer