Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-17-2002   #1
MRPITTSII
Cadillac Member

Unhappy Fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAST NIGHT MY GTA TRANSMISSION LINE RUPTURED DUE TO EXCESSIVE WEAR FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE RUBBING AGAINST IT, AND IT CAUGHT FIRE. IN THE PROCESS THE BATTERY GROUNDED ITSELF OUT AS OUT MANUVERED AROUND TO GET THE CAR OUT OF TRAFFIC. I GOT THE TRANSMISSION LINE LEAK FIXED, AND I GOT A NBEW BATTERY POST, BUT I THINK THAT I STILL HAVE A BAD GROUND WIRE THAT BURNED THROUGH, OR SOMETHING BECAUSE NOW WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING, AND I HIT THE BRAKES, OR TURN ON THE LIGHTS OR DO ANYTHING THAT WILL TAKE SOME BATTERY POWER, THEN MY WHOLE DIGITAL DASH FLICKKERS OR EITHER GOES DIM OR OUT, AND AS I TURN WHATEVER IT WAS I TURNED ON OFF, IT WILL TRY TO COME BACK INTO PLAY. I NOTICED THE GROUND STRAP FROM THE MOTOR TO THE CHASIS AT THE REAR OF THE MOTOR (THAT GOES TO THE FIREWALL) IS BURNED ITO NOW. COULD THIS BE MY PROBLEM? mIGHT MY BATTERY BE DEAD NOW, AFTER THE POST GROUNDED OUT TO THE METAL BODY. ANY HELP WITH THIS, WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THNKS IN ADVANCE,
MRPITTS II
MRPITTSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002   #2
NCMCSS
GTA - F-Body Member

I had a bad groung off the back of the engine ansd it did something weird to the blinkers. I don't have digital dash though, so maybe it would affect that.
NCMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002   #3
JAY87GTA
GTA Member

Yes the ground can cause this problem and yes if the battery shorted out like that it could very well be bad. You might save the battery by putting it on a trickle charger for a day or so and then getting a load tester to check the battery. Get the ground replaced and check out the others, like down on the bottom of the engine.
'87 GTA w/ euro mirrors, L98/700R4, Edelbrock headers, catco hi-flow cat, flowmaster catback w/2 chamber muffler, Edelbrock intake, SLP runners, Holley 52mm T-body, SLP coldair, Energy Suspension bushing kit, Russel brake lines, T56 w/ Mcleod clutch and pressure plate, B&M Ripper shifter, Spohn crossmember
JAY87GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002   #4
REMOVED USER

Its funny what a bad ground can do inside your car.
i had this once and when I used the brakes my fasten seatbelts light came on, using the blinkers the choke-oil light came on and things like that
Old 04-18-2002   #5
UKGTA
GTA Member

Yes, a bad ground will cause that, but also when the fire occured and th battery grounded itself, you may have damaged the altenator. The regulator inside it may be damaged??
UKGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002   #6
MRPITTSII
Cadillac Member

Talking Thank you guys

I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME WITH MY PROBLEM, IT WAS A BAD GROUND AND THE BATTERY IS FINE. SHE IS NOW BACK UP AND RUNNING FINE.
MRPITTSII is offline   Reply With Quote