Thread: 1991 gta
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017   #1
cschurman

Talking 1991 gta

I have a 1991 GTA that has been having an overheating issue. It only overheats when it isn't moving. If I am driving down the highway I usually don't have any issues with it overheating.

I have had this car for almost 10 years now. I bought it when I was 14, it had front end damage and I redid that along with the interior of the car.

My question is, what is a problem like this typically linked to? Is it the relay, the temp sensor....Not really sure. I currently don't have the space to work on the car much so it sits in my storage unit a majority of the time. I have tossed the idea of just hardwiring my fans to a toggle switch, how difficult is this task?

2nd question, the car has about 130,000 miles on it, and the motor is in huge need of a rebuilt. What kind of rebuild should I do with this? The 700R4 transmission was rebuilt about 5 years ago and a shift kit and a corvette servo was installed in it. What would a stock rebuild for this engine run me cost wise? What would a rebuild beefing the motor up with some more performance parts run me? and how much gain could I get performance wise, I don't want to do anything too crazy that the rebuilt tranny couldn't handle.

I have been tossing back and forth what I want to do with this car for quite some time. Just looking for some ideas from others and what they have done with their cars.

Thanks in advance!
cschurman is offline   Reply With Quote