View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018   #9
GJL2000

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA ONLY 13k Miles

Well, now don't forget about all the additional bracing that was incorporated into the mid-88 GTA's. How do I know? Well, I have a heck of a story to tell anybody that's interested. So, this is actually my 2nd '88 medium gray metallic GTA. I bought my first in December of 1987 which turned out to be a test mule that somehow got away from the factory! I bought it right off the Pontiac lot in Omaha in December 1987. I took delivery and even had the thing insured! I still have the VIN number and all the documentation to the story. When I took the car in to have a little dent removed in the hood from the transport, they basically took it away from me! Hell, I almost called the police, I didn’t know what to do. I knew a few guys at the dealership and they said they had never seen anything like that. Afterward, GM sent a hauler across country from Michigan just for my car and sent it back, by itself, on the hauler to be crushed. The dealer did put the car on a lift for me to see before it left and showed me the hairline cracks and fractures and said the odometer didn't reflect all the miles it had on it. So to make a long story short, the rigidity in the chassis was fixed in the mid-year '88's. That's why the '88 5.7's couldn't have a sunroof and the '89's and on could, because of the '88 mid-year fixes. A GM VP personally told me they were also worried about the ’88 5.0's having a sunroof but the twisting wasn't as bad as the 5.7’s so they let it go. So there's more to the story than that if someone wants to call me they can. And another thing, that test mule was way, way faster than any GTA’s I have driven before and since and I'm sure there were mods they didn't tell me about in the engine. And my 2nd GTA, the one I have now and for the last 30 years, it was a VP special order. I got it in January ’88 after just a couple of weeks later. Special delivery  Needless to say I got it way below manufacturing cost even. GM wanted to basically cover this up and shut me up. Yes, I did threaten legal action and I raised holy hell! Anyway, that was 30 years ago. I don’t know if the people involved are still alive and of course Pontiac is gone now so no one cares about my experience. But I thought you guys would get a kick out of it! Greg /I]
GJL2000 is offline   Reply With Quote