The GTA Source Page Message Forums

The GTA Source Page Message Forums (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/index.php)
-   GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Info for 88 GTA restoration (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54738)

rods & reels 09-24-2014 11:51 AM

Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
I recently purchased a 1988 GTA that I would like to restore as close to new as possible. What would be the best source or sources of information, pics of chassis and engine compartment in particular, that would be helpful for this project. I have owned a couple 3rd gen cars, but this my first restoration, and would like to get it right. I already have a factory service manual, but would appreciate any input on other useful info out there.

FrankieRider2 09-27-2014 03:15 PM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Over at Thirdgen.org, they have an excellent forum on history/restoration. There are some documented very low mileage original cars there.

Or I will be glad to try and answer your questions here using either of my 2 GTAs. Others here will be glad to help as well, I'm sure.

1badGTA 09-29-2014 08:22 AM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
let your questions rip:)

rods & reels 09-29-2014 09:37 AM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Thanks guys. I know I am going to need help on this project. Car is a 74,000 mile 5.7 auto, that has suffered a mild engine compartment fire. A high school friend of mine bought this car in the early 90's, and has been garage kept ever since. It caught fire in his garage due to what we think was a battery cable problem. I would have hated to see it parted out, or worse, sent to a crusher.

FrankieRider2 09-29-2014 10:37 PM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Anytime you're ready or need to know something, that's what The Source Page is here for. Always has been...

86TA355SR 03-05-2015 07:15 PM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Any update on your car?

warmanautoworks 08-04-2015 09:34 PM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Just bought 88 TPI 5sp
Any info would be appreciated.
How many are left?
Best way to get RPO codes?

1badGTA 08-05-2015 07:43 AM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by warmanautoworks (Post 440153)
Just bought 88 TPI 5sp
Any info would be appreciated.
How many are left?
Best way to get RPO codes?

if its a GTA there are 809 that were made in 88.
Find the build sheet:) under carpet, under seats, stuck in dash etc.

Tantrum88GTA 08-16-2015 02:16 PM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
So this begs a question... being that there were only 809 5.0L/5spd cars made in 1988, should I restore or mod the one i picked up. I've been stuck on this for the last 3 months since i took delivery of it... salvage yard rescue/find

1badGTA 08-17-2015 10:50 AM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantrum88GTA (Post 440176)
So this begs a question... being that there were only 809 5.0L/5spd cars made in 1988, should I restore or mod the one i picked up. I've been stuck on this for the last 3 months since i took delivery of it... salvage yard rescue/find

its your vehicle and to do with as you wish.
I personally would want to see another one restored but its your call. restoring a car is not for those with limited funds but it can be done. I dont know your financial position. you will never get out from a restored car what you put into it. that's why I bought one as original as I could get so I wont lose much.

Tantrum88GTA 08-18-2015 09:18 PM

Re: Info for 88 GTA restoration
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1badGTA (Post 440178)
its your vehicle and to do with as you wish.
I personally would want to see another one restored but its your call. restoring a car is not for those with limited funds but it can be done. I dont know your financial position. you will never get out from a restored car what you put into it. that's why I bought one as original as I could get so I wont lose much.

Good point, but being that this far from a low mileage example (151,000 mi), the value factor and what i would need to put into it would be a labor of love with little road time. I want a driver, but one with some sack that i would not be hesitant to roll up against any of my friends' M3's or GTRs. May end up spending quite a bit, but I'd have some real old school cool for us "older" guys who grew admiring these cars. Hoping to go small block boosted someday and just have some fun with her


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.