The GTA Source Page Message Forums

The GTA Source Page Message Forums (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/index.php)
-   GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   ¿help? (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10419)

REMOVED USER 12-03-2001 04:47 AM

¿help?

I need some help on finding out how rare my gta is...and if it is worth fixing up...

This is what she is/has:

1988, red (81), 5.0 (LB9), 5spd (MM5), gray leather seats w/ black leather wheel, elect. ins. cluster (U52), & sub speaker sys (UQ7).

She does not have or has had them removed before i owned her:
Oil cooler (KC4), Custom seat belts (AK1), & Lamp group (TR9)...the last two i dont know what they are...¿and where should the cooler be?

She has an odd rear end...it has an id tag saying its a detroit locker rear end...¿is this factory?...

She has had a hard life...and turned many heads...in her years she has out ran many...many cops...(HP,CO P,TP [TRIBAL Po], City Po)...made large clouds of smoke (to the point cops could not id her-that was funny-an olds took the heat)...gone from CA to SD w/ an average of 100 mph (that blew the 2nd motor-it had about 100mi on it before the trip)...deer run away from her...large raccoons (the size of small farm dogs) love her...*grins*...she still has fur on her from the last one...she even had a brick dropped on her rear wing from the 5th floor of an apt...*shakes his head*...but she is now showing her age...her harmonic went out on her...and i got a new car...but the time has come to either a) rebuild...b) put in a new short block (that be the third short block she has seen)...c) new 305 TPI...d) let the snow set on her for another year or more (this being the 2nd year)...or d) plan a party and have nice big fire...for no one will ever own her for as long as i live...

...a long term dream of mine is to fix her up 100%...mint...and have an evil twin gta (hard top) w/ roll cage, air ride or hydro, push grill...not push bar, and a 383 stroker w/ a 6spd...i think the roll cage and frame connectors should make the frame strong enough...

...any help on helping me determine how rare she is and/or what i should do will help...

Malachi

gtayumiko 12-03-2001 10:55 AM

Need help

Well, I've consulted some of my friends in regards to your delema and I must say, I got some really good feed back, so much that I don't think I could list all of your options here. Seriously, it will make more sense to buy a GTA from Mr. Frankie's site and use the one you already have for parts, even if the pickings are slim. You might be able to salvage a lug nut here or a kick panel there, but that's about it. About rarety. Even I love GTA soooo much, I have to face the facts that we aren't talking about real vintage muscle cars. The United States isn't making real vintage muscle cars since smog devices were incorporated into the vehicle equations. Beautiful designs are of the past now. Look around when you are on the freeway. Most of all cars I see that are new, I rather walk! So vehicles are now a changed product. Rare to me is like a 65' Newport, or a 70' heme convertable with a four speed manual transmission, or a 68' Coronet 440, etc. I really believe that a rare Firebird worth restoring in the amount you are looking at doing to your GTA , is the 67' Firebird, you know the only one with wing windows ever built factory, smog exempt and as my friends quoted: built when a passenger side airbag was a mother-in-law.

Anyways, good luck with your project. If you want me to list more of suggestions from the people I ask about, just let me know cause some of them are very original. Yumiko;)

REMOVED USER 12-03-2001 05:46 PM

thanks

thank you for the sug....but i would part out a different gta and put my gta back on the road...and i think i found an 88 notchback as a doner...the 2 gtas did run together years ago...the notchback has nasty front end damage...(kissed a bridge)...

gtayumiko 12-04-2001 09:55 PM

Need Help

You mention that you have 88' notchback. If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Mr. Frankie mention that notchbacks are somewhat rare? If so, maybe you should consider restoring the notchback instead? Just a suggestion. Hope you find the answer to the GTA questions :) Yumiko

REMOVED USER 12-05-2001 02:18 AM

...oh yes...if i could i would...but the frame is shot...two wheels are on the ground...1 front...1 rear...but for the most part the parts are good...