The GTA Source Page Message Forums

The GTA Source Page Message Forums (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/index.php)
-   GENERAL TECH (NON-GTA) (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=595)
-   -   Fire, then no fire (http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54716)

djmarch 08-13-2014 04:20 PM

Fire, then no fire

Have a dilemma here and wondering if members have experienced such. Went to start the GTA last weekend as I do every weekend and it fired off at the first turn of the key, then nothing. Engine would turn over and over, but no fire. Funny thing is I would come back a half hour later and it would fire off again at the first turn of the key, and then nothing. It would crank and crank with no fire. Repeated this process all day, but no start. Things I checked.

1.) Fuel shoots out the schrader valve on fuel rail. I hear fuel pump when ignition is turned on.

2.) Checked for voltage at the coil with ignition switch on. Measured 13.6 volts.

Any suggestions out there will be greatly appreciated.

rhomanski 08-13-2014 08:10 PM

Re: Fire, then no fire

If you have another battery, try switching them. I had one do that years ago on a different car. Also have seen a fuel filter collapsing internally and causing that. It would run for five minutes and then die. Wait 15 minutes and it would fire up like a brand new car. After that, maybe a relay, computer, the sock in the fuel tank? Coil, Distributor cap? I had a cap cracked years ago that would idle terribly until I went down the road a couple hundred feet and then it would smooth out and run perfect. How is the power? If it's down I would suspect ignition first. I might get closer with my guesses if I was there.

89-5.7GTA 08-13-2014 08:10 PM

I have never had this type of symptom.

It does not sound like a typical fuel pump problem. But, to be sure, I would check the fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge. Fuel squirting out of the schrader valve may not indicate whether there is enough pressure.

If you have good pressure at the rail, what about the regulator?

Can there be some glitch that is shutting down the injectors after the engine fires up?

What about the ignition module? I have never replaced mine and seem to remember reading that aftermarket modules are trouble-prone. Maybe?

But, I would so what you are doing: posting the question and seeing if anyone has a good suggestion! Good luck!

86TA355SR 08-13-2014 08:49 PM

These kind of symptoms are difficult to diagnosis over the net...

After you check the normal stuff, take a look at the cap/rotor. IF heavily worn, they need replaced. Take a plug wire off a plug. Put an old spark plug in the boot and lay across a valve cover. Have someone crank the motor while you observe a dark blue spark. If there is not a spark, it's at the dist.

I chased an ignition issue one summer-it was a bad module. Had never saw one only break down during hard acceleration. Car ran fine the rest of time.

Your issue sounds like ignition to me.

Check fuel injector resistance on ALL injectors-cold. It's common the car will start when cold and won't stay running or won't start when hot. As the injectors get hot, the resistance increases to the point they won't 'fire' anymore, thus fuel starvation.

What fuel pressure are you showing on a gauge? what's the leak down rate?

When you get some more information, let us know what you found.

MunsonGTA 08-13-2014 09:40 PM

I would pull the ignition control module out of the distributor and have it checked. My local Advance Auto was able to check mine.

djmarch 08-14-2014 06:43 AM

Thanks for everyones input. I will replace the ignition module this weekend as I have a spare. Which seems weird though as I get fire at first then not. Like something is shuting off after the intial crank such as a relay. Does anyone have a pdf file on which of the 3 relays cluster next to the master cylinder is the fuel ? as I don't remember. Maybe it's the spark control module mounted next to the master cylinder against the firewall is bad ? Anyone have a p/n on this ? Ahhh...the ----- of troubleshooting.

MunsonGTA 08-14-2014 10:36 PM

The fuel pump relay is the farthest to the left. The two on the right are the MAF relays. Does your car start up when you first try it and stay running? Or does it fire up, die, and then not restart?

My ignition control module went out 3 times. The symptom was always the same. My car would start up fine, drive fine, run fine. No matter how far I drove, after I shut it off it wouldn't restart. If I let it sit for severals hours or overnight, it would start right up again.